Big Brew Day 2017

Please post your brewing schedule here. Post in the subject line who, when and type (ie. All Grain, Partial or Extract). Post in the body the brewday information including directions and what you will be brewing.

Moderator: rsc3da

Big Brew Day 2017

Postby stlmalt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Missouri Malt Supply (MO Malt) will host a Big Brew homebrewing demonstration and celebration on Saturday, May 6 and Saturday, May 13 in celebration of National Homebrew Day.

This is an open event and anyone interested in homebrewing is invited to stop by from 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday, May 6 or Saturday, May 13 to join the fun! This is a great way to learn, see homebrewing in action and show support for homebrewers.

BREWERS NEEDED

We need brewers to demonstrate their skills and techniques in home brewing a batch of beer.
This year’s official recipes—which were selected by the AHA to celebrate the upcoming release of the fourth edition of How to Brew by John Palmer—are Rushmore American IPA, Battre L’oie Saison and Klang Freudenfest Oktoberfest Lager, all of which are featured in the book. We will provide you with brewing ingredients and utilities.

Full recipe details and directions can be found on the AHA website.

If you are interested in brewing a batch at this event, please contact me - kent at momalt dot com.

Thanks!

Kent
Kent
Missouri Malt Supply in Fenton
stlmalt

Re: Big Brew Day 2017

Postby StLBeer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 am

Kent,

I'm definitely interested in brewing there the 13th of May. I'd need to use someone else's equipment though. So maybe I just walk around and talk with the audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby stlmalt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:17 am

Paul-

I have a keggle system (propane fired) you are welcome to brew on. How about splitting a 10-11 gal batch?

Saturday May 13th sounds great.

Anyone else want to brew with Paul on the 13th?

Brewing on May 6th is open too, we already have some brewers set for May 6th, but more is better.

Cheers,

Kent
Kent
stlmalt

Postby stlmalt » Sun May 14, 2017 7:11 pm

2017 Big Brew was a big success. This year's event was spread across two May Saturdays.

Thanks to club member Kerth Stocker for brewing the Rushmore American IPA on Saturday, May 6.

Thanks to club members Paul Murphy and Josh Aune for brewing on Saturday, May 13 along with Andy Kuhnert.

Paul brewed an American Wheat Ale, Josh brewed the Big Brew recipe Battre L’oie Saison and Andy brewed a Belgian Witbier. MO Malt also brewed a batch each Saturday.

Several brewers stopped by (beginning brewers as well as seasoned brewers) to watch and ask questions while the brewing was going on.

A group of students and their professor on a field trip from a brewing class from Hanover College (Hanover, IN) also stopped in to learn about brewing and ingredients for brewing. Wish they offered these courses when I was in college.

Big Brew Day Stats
No. of Batches brewed- 6 (Rushmore American IPA, Battre L'oire Saison, American Wheat Ale, Witbier, Mandarina Bavarian Cream Ale, Belgian Blonde Ale)
No. of gallons brewed- 45 gallons
Visitors supporting the brewers- 25 - 30 over the two Saturdays

Look forward to growing this event for 2018! This is open to all brewers.
Kent
stlmalt

Postby StLBeer » Wed May 31, 2017 8:18 am

harry56 wrote:I'd like the use of 1 jockey box for the afternoon of Friday, October 16. I know all 4 boxes are in use on Sat Oct 17, but am hoping someone will work with me so I can use one on Friday afternoon and then drop it off.

gclub

Post this in the Equipment forum, there is a thread for this. Or Admins, please move to Equipment forum.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Wed May 31, 2017 8:34 am

harry56 wrote:I'd like the use of 1 jockey box for the afternoon of Friday, October 16. I know all 4 boxes are in use on Sat Oct 17, but am hoping someone will work with me so I can use one on Friday afternoon and then drop it off.

gclub

harry56, check with Kevin Tierney. I gave him the 2 that I had back in April. I think he used them for Microfest.

Dan Stauder, the elder, is now responsible for the jockey boxes.

Paul
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Brewing Schedules