New Project: BrewPi

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

New Project: BrewPi

Postby StLBeer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Hey guys, I've started a new project to build a BrewPi and a fermentation chamber.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 loaded with the Jesse release of Raspbian as well as a couple of Arduino's - an UNO and a Mega2560, a bag of DS1820B temperature probes and a SainSmart 4 relay board.

The plan is to have a multi chamber fermenter/maturation chamber cooled by a 5000BTU air conditioner.

Has anyone ever done this?
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Re: New Project: BrewPi

Postby blksabbath » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 pm

How many zones do you need all at once? Not being silly just asking. Or do you mean programs to drop temps over a set time...or drop then raise for d-rests and things like that.

I've been very interested the whole pi/arduino way of doing things for a while, but most is way over my head
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby StLBeer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 pm

blksabbath wrote:How many zones do you need all at once? Not being silly just asking. Or do you mean programs to drop temps over a set time...or drop then raise for d-rests and things like that.

I've been very interested the whole pi/arduino way of doing things for a while, but most is way over my head

I'll be cooling 2 different zones. One Arduino and instance of BrewPi is needed per zone. So, 2 Arduinos. I will be using programs to ferment lagers so I don't have to worry about getting them to the correct temps for the correct lengths of time.

Using Raspberry Pi's is about as easy as it gets. The documentation found on HBT and at brewpi.com is extremely well made. It's not been updated since Raspbian Wheezy, but it works well for the Jesse release. Only a minor change for the location of the web server index page.

I'd be happy to show it off when it gets done or assist other folks in putting one of these together.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby wnordmann » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Very cool project, I'd love to see it completed.
wnordmann

Postby wnordmann » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Very cool project, I'd love to see it completed.
wnordmann

Postby StLBeer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Here's the control set up. Pi3 on the left and Arduino + Sainsmart 2 relay board on the right.

Here's a pic of the app.

I still need to add the outlets that will control the A/C and heater.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:00 pm

I've got my fermenter chamber and controller all up and and running. I've built a shield for the probes and LCD display. I thought that since it was a fairly straight forward thing, that if anyone is interested I'd be happy to discuss at an upcoming meeting. The shield and components are about $50. For a small fee I'd solder up the components+board. You supply the arduino and Raspberry Pi. I can supply a raspbian image to ease installation.

So you can build up a two stage temp controller with data logging on a Linux platform for less then a $100.

Let me know. Paul
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:22 pm

So the build is complete and I'm fermenting my first beer.

I have to say, I have never had the temperature be this stable. I'm super excited!

Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Update

It's been a while since I launched this project and I have to say, this thing is pretty cool. Even in the most recent heatwave we had, where it was 100.6*F in my garage, I was able to maintain 46*F in the coldest part of my ferm chamber/fridge. 54*F temperature difference! Wow.

I have made one modification - the high humidity in this region makes it difficult for the algorithm to compensate and therefore the expansion valve and plumbing tends to ice over when the heat and humidity build. i.e. the ice doesn't melt from the current cycle before the BrewPi asks for more cold air. SO it ices over. To combat that, I repurposed and old computer CPU fan that is 6" in diameter. The fan is mounted to the outside of the A/C right next to the expansion valve. It's powered by a repurposed PC power supply. This seems to have resolved the issue I was having with ice buildup.

I won't be able to lager in this until fall, but the primary fermentation chamber is holding 52*F quite nicely without a beer in it.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Equipment Discussion