Raspberry Pints Project

General brewing equipment discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Raspberry Pints Project

Postby StLBeer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:01 am

For the last year or so I've been playing around with a project I found on HBT called Raspberry Pints http://raspberrypints.com/.

This project uses a little computer called a Raspberry Pi to host a web server, run programs and host a database server all on a version of Linux called Raspbian (a derivation of Debian Linux).

The objective of Raspberry Pints is to provide to the user a tap list for your beers. This may appeal mostly to those who keg and use a kegerator. There are optional flow sensors that sit in the beer lines that will keep you informed on the amount of beer left in the keg as well as an optional motion sensor that turns the screen on when you approach it. Included is a database for your beer styles, a database of your keg inventory that includes descriptive fields for each keg and the state of each keg (in use, ready to use, dirty, etc) and a tap list. You relate beer (style, volume, ibu etc) to a keg and a keg to a tap.

And since it's a web serving PC, it's accessible from anywhere on the internet. Not that it's all so important to know what's on tap at your house when you're out of town. Or will need to manage your taps or kegs, but it's kind of fun.

Then one guy developed a temperature logging/fermentation controller application, added it to the Raspberry Pi and extended the RPints application. Notice the temp icon on the upper right of the image above. It's possible to have both a display plus temp controller all-in-one. Plus whatever else you want the little bugger to do. Provide internet stereo, surf the web, etc. It's all pretty cool.

Here's a picture from mine showing a graph of the temps from my garage and kegerator for the last week.

The first couple of data points are an anomaly due to me changing out the temp probes and letting it run at room temp for 30 minutes.

For me - being able to monitor the temps in my kegerator is more important than displaying whats on tap. I am not using the temp controller part since I already have a RANCO temp controller, but add in an Arduino with a relay board an SSR and a bit more programming and you're there.

I've been thinking about making this a tech topic for an upcoming meeting. Let me know if you have any questions.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Re: Raspberry Pints Project

Postby wnordmann » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:27 am

I have lot of questions about this. I really want to build one of these. I'd enjoy a tech topic on this.
wnordmann

Postby blksabbath » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Didn't the GBS guys have something like this running at Heritage Festival?
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby StLBeer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Maybe - I wasn't at Heritage Fest, so I can't say. But it would make for a great way to display our tap list over paper tags.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 am

blksabbath wrote:Didn't the GBS guys have something like this running at Heritage Festival?

Would it be gauche if we had one too?
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby blksabbath » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:03 pm

I think celebrity tap barkers would be pretty cool.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby StLBeer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:14 pm

blksabbath wrote:I think celebrity tap barkers would be pretty cool.

Excellent idea!

Who do you have in mind?
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby StLBeer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

blksabbath wrote:Didn't the GBS guys have something like this running at Heritage Festival?

Dang, you are correct. I saw a picture where they had the tap display up. Looks like it was in it's default mode. Nothing very fancy.
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Equipment Discussion