Eisbock anyone?

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Eisbock anyone?

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:03 pm

I'm brewing a dopplebock tomorrow, and I'm thinking about turning half of it into a eisbock. I've been doing some reading on the subject, but was wondering if anyone here has every made one, and if so, what process you used. I was thinking about just starting the freezing process in the keg and then pushing it to a fresh keg when it reaches a good level of concentration.

That's where I'm stuck. I'm not entirely sure when to call it a day and move it to a fresh keg. Is there a standard level of concentration? What should I watch for as far as my gravity is concerned? I figured the freezing process wouldn't take more than a day if my freezer is running full blast.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: Eisbock anyone?

Postby rsc3da » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:14 am

Only member I can recall is Jacob V. I think I tried an Eisbock he made a few years ago. I haven't made one but I think your method would work, but I guess you might have an issue with ice starting to get pushed out your beer line although I'm not sure that would happen or not. You could always just rack the beer into a bucket and then freeze it and pull out the ice manually. I think that's the way Eisbock is traditionally made is that you freeze the beer and remove the ice many times until it won't freeze anymore, meaning that you can't concentrate it any further.

If you have ever heard of Applejack it is made in a similar way except you start with hard cider, it was really popular in our country during the 1800's.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Postby rsc3da » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:15 am

Also I'm not sure what the legality of doing this is because it's a type of distillation which is illegal federally, not sure if you care about that or not but just letting you know.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:04 am

One time I accidentally froze the kegs in my keezer, and they kept serving. So I'm guessing the ice starts forming at the top which is why I was thinking about doing it in the keg instead of a bucket. It would also protect from potential oxidation or infection when removing the ice. Although I suppose I could do it in a better bottle and push the auto-siphon through the ice at the top.

As for the legality, out here in Colorado, we're not too concerned about what's legal at a federal level :wink:
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

turkeyjerky214

Postby thatoneguy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 am

When I made mine I didn't use a keg just a bottling bucket with a spigot on the bottom. Was able to just drain all the unfrozen concentrate out leaving the ice on top. Also made it easier to kinda see how much ice was in the bucket but I think keg should work just fine also. Also if you have the time I would try to freeze it slowly and try not to disturb it too much. If frozen to fast or agitated it will cause smaller ice crystals to form trapping more beer in the process. Slower freeze creates bigger crystals that are more pure water leaving all the good stuff to concentrate underneath. Hope that helps.
thatoneguy

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am

thatoneguy wrote:Also if you have the time I would try to freeze it slowly and try not to disturb it too much. If frozen to fast or agitated it will cause smaller ice crystals to form trapping more beer in the process. Slower freeze creates bigger crystals that are more pure water leaving all the good stuff to concentrate underneath. Hope that helps.

At what temperature did you hold it, and for how long? I'm thinking about setting it around 28º and just checking the gravity to see when it's done. Do you remember your final gravity after freezing?
-Brian

turkeyjerky214

Postby thatoneguy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 am

Its been awhile since I have done this but I think I had it right at or just under freezing so I would think 28 would be fine. I want to say it was around 3 days. I don't remember what the gravity was or if I even checked that.
thatoneguy

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 am

I've made both applejack and perryjack. The perryjack took a first at UMMO Eis-anything a few years back. To build up any alcohol level, you need to get a lot colder than 28, I went to minus 10 and achieved 60 proof. I found the ice formed on all sides of the vessel and would doubt that a corny keg would dispense. I scooped the ice crystals and syrupy stuff into a colander and let it drain, throwing out the ice. It made a nice warming drink.
Witch Doctor Dale

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion