hops in a decoction

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

hops in a decoction

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:44 am

So I'm curious about how many ibus I'd get from adding 1 oz of 3 % aa leaf hops to a decoction. Say a little over 1.5 gallons being pulled out and boiled for 20 minutes. I also want to know how different ibu production would be when comparing a thick vs a thin decoction. My guess, a thin decoction would be better but not sure by how much.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: hops in a decoction

Postby jeffjm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

Hopping a decoction is discussed briefly in the American Sours book that came out last summer, in the context of a Berliner Weisse. There aren't any exact numbers provided, but the general idea is that you're not going to get enough IBUs to inhibit the lacto.

Informed guesses follow...

In general, I think it's safe to assume you're not going to pull many more IBUs from a decoction than you would from mash hopping a single infusion. Yes, the heat you're going to apply to the decoction will isomerize more alpha, but that effect is going to be limited somewhat because in a decoction, you don't have that much liquid where alpha can go into solution. At NHC, there was a talk on measuring IBUs from mash hops and first wort hops, and if I remember right, the mash hopped beer only measured about 5 IBUs.

I think you're correct about the thin decoction possibly extracting more than the thick. Going back to the Berliner Weisse, and what we know about their low bitterness levels, I'd say "less than 10" is probably a decent estimate of IBUs you might get.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Return to Ingredients Discussion