Honey!!

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Honey!!

Postby Trad10 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:08 pm

I still consider myself a beginner Brewer so I need some help. I was gifted an abundant amount of delicious organic orange blossom honey that I would like to use in my next batch. My first question is what is the best way to add the honey (boil, primary, secondary, or priming) that will keep the flavors and aroma I want intact? My second question is how much honey do I use per given method? It will be a 5 gallon batch. Thanks.
Trad10

Re: Honey!!

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Honey character in beer is very illusive. Regardless of where it is added, it is nearly completely fermented and any character of honey is gone. The only way I have found to get some type of honey character is to use Honey Malt from Gambrinus Malting Co. Recommended 10% of your grist -- more is not better in this area. A lighter bodied beer is a better starting place because it would be lost in an IPA are dark ale.

Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby JoeHPhil » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:07 am

if you bottle you can use it in place of bottling sugar, just measure and mix carefully. You will get a little of the orange blossom aroma that way.

Not saying I recommend it...

Other than that, you could try a mead or use with the honey malt in a lighter flavored beer
JoeHPhil

Postby seymour » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:50 am

JoeHPhil wrote:...Other than that, you could try a mead or use with the honey malt in a lighter flavored beer

+1

When you say "abundant amount of honey", how much are we taking about exactly?
seymour

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 am

If I remember correctly, Bells adds honey to their Hopslam during whirlpool. I've never dealt with honey, but I would assume if the wort stays hot enough, a 10-15 minute whirlpool would be sufficient in killing of anything you don't want getting into the beer.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby Tim H » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Please don't use that honey in beer. That honey should be used to make a mead.
Tim H

Postby TCochran » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 am

seymour wrote:
JoeHPhil wrote:...Other than that, you could try a mead or use with the honey malt in a lighter flavored beer

+1

When you say "abundant amount of honey", how much are we taking about exactly?

+1+1

Tim H wrote:Please don't use that honey in beer. That honey should be used to make a mead.

+1
TCochran

Postby sjbrown » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:14 pm

I have added as little as 2 oz of orange blossom honey to a Saison near the end of the boil and had a very noticeable aroma from it. In a previous Trippel I had added 4 oz and it was too much floral character for my taste.
sjbrown

Return to Ingredients Discussion