Bruery Smoking Wood clone

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

Bruery Smoking Wood clone

Postby Mike C-Z » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am

Inspired by the Bruery's Smoking Wood. Feedback appreciated.

10# 2-row
4# Smoked malt
3# Rye malt
1# Crystal 80
1# Chocolate malt
.75# Crystal 40
.5# Black Patent

2 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min.
2 oz Willamette @ 30 min.

American ale yeast

2.5 oz wood chips soaked in whiskey
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: Bruery Smoking Wood clone

Postby seymour » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Sadly, I haven't tasted that commercial beer, but your recipe sure looks like it would produce a delicious brew. Apparently the first release was aged in bourbon barrels, but the larger, even more popular second vintage was aged in rye whiskey barrels which paired nicely with the rye malt. Yum.
seymour

Postby DPlan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 am

Man, this OP is old, but I gotta know. How did this recipe turn out? I haven't had the commercial beer either, but it is available here and has great reviews.

I just came into a 15 gallon rye barrel and was going to do a porter. The description of this beer sounds amazing.
http://www.thebruery.com/beers/specialcollection.html

I am brewing on Sunday. Any feedback on this recipe would be appreciated. Thanks!
DPlan

Postby seymour » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm

DPlan wrote:Man, this OP is old, but I gotta know. How did this recipe turn out? I haven't had the commercial beer either, but it is available here and has great reviews...

I remember when Mike brewed this at our 2013 Teach A Friend To Brew Day outdoor demonstration. We tasted his hydrometer jar sample of unfermented wort, which was already delicious. Noticeably toasty and smoky with a great Fuggly-type hoppy balance, no single aspect overpowering the others.

Yet if I remember correctly, he and his wife killed the whole keg before any of us had a chance to taste it. Needless to say, they loved it. :)

Here's my brewday write-up on a UK brewing site (mainly focusing on what I brewed, but it features more pictures of StlBrews members): http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63048

DPlan wrote:...I just came into a 15 gallon rye barrel and was going to do a porter...

Oh, you lucky dog. Go for it!
seymour

Postby DPlan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks, that is awesome to hear! So, he used the recipe that was in the original post?

Thanks again!
DPlan

Postby seymour » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:22 am

DPlan wrote:Thanks, that is awesome to hear! So, he used the recipe that was in the original post?

Thanks again!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Mike posted several times on our Teach A Friend To Brew Day thread, but I didn't see any changes to the above recipe. He received a 10 lb bag of US 2-row pale base malt from the store, fresh American Ale yeast from Kirkwood Station, and Scotch whiskey soaked French Oak chips added to keg, which match the above recipe. OG was 1089.

I'll text him about the revived interest here, in case he has anything to add...
seymour

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:44 am

The posted recipe is a little different from what I brewed. I used 12 lbs of base malt. Also I was short on some specialty malts so those are a bit different too. The recipe is at home. I brought a bottle to a meeting from the first batch, so a few people did taste it and it was well received. Doesn't really taste like Smoking Wood though, Josh Eberhardt had abottle and we did a side by side. Oddly enough, I want a 15 gallon barrel and this is the beer I would put in it first. Josh's feedback was boost the abv and increase the oak character. Your barrel should take care of the second issue.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby DPlan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am brewing this on Sunday. I had the Smoking Wood last night and it was fantastic, but yeah, 13%. If you have any other tips on this brew, I'll take them.
DPlan

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 pm

I always got poor efficiency, usually ended up around 8.5 abv. Scale up as necessary.
Mike C-Z

Postby JE » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:56 am

As the lucky guy who got to do this side-by-side with Mike, I have to say - damn fine beer made by him!

I LOVED his take on it, including the lower ABV. I did tell him to make it more "similar" to boost his up (The Bruery doesn't shy away from the alcohol percentage) and up the oak a LITTLE.

If you followed his recipe, you probably will have a killer of a beer to drink!

Sorry I'm so late to the party on this one...been out of the loop for a while.
JE

Return to Recipes