Road Trippin'

Off-topic discussions, non-beer related posts, etc.

Moderator: rsc3da

Road Trippin'

Postby astx813 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

I'll be heading down to the Great Smokeys (around Knoxville) this summer and figure the 8 hours on the road will be much more enjoyable with some well chosen stops along the way. We haven't decided yet if our route will take us by/through Louisville or Nashville, but if anyone has suggestions along either of those paths, that might help with the deciding. Obviously since I'm asking here, I have beer in mind, but my travel companions have other interests, so sights & roadside attractions would also be acceptable. Anyone got any suggestions?
Secretariat
Jew #1 of Two Jews Brews
astx813

Re: Road Trippin'

Postby beermikester » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

Going anywhere near Cincinnati? Across the river from downtown, in Kentucky, is a Hofbrau Haus with very good beer.

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby wnordmann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 pm

I know Louisville has a beer scene that is quickly growing. The only real established brewpub is BBC, and they are really good. There are a few beer bars but they don't have the selection or polish of iTap or Global Brew, more of a smaller one man operation.
    Louisville Beer Store is a tiny place run by and husband and wife with a bar to hold 5 people and lots of bottle
    River City Tap House has some food but is mainly 10 well selected taps and a few bottles
    Cumberland Brewery is next door to River City, it's ok the frequently have a draft mead which is cool, food is alright too
    Sergio's it has so many different beers, I am amazed so much is for sale in the state. The place is not well marked, kind of run down, and the prices are high but if you have time stopping for one beer is worth the experience to see the volume of beer

I grew up in Louisville, my family and in-laws still live there so i know the town pretty well.
wnordmann

Postby siwelwerd » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 pm

I can think of several reasons to prefer the Nashville route. First, you can always take the backroads over to 57, which allows you to make a pitstop at Scratch Brewing in Ava. Nashville has a couple good breweries. Yazoo has a tasting room, they make some pretty good stuff. Also, some of the best food I've had anywhere can be found at Monell's in Nashville (sorry, no beer there). Southern cooking at its finest.

Of course, if you're in the Smokeys, you may as well make your way over to Asheville--lots of good beer there.
siwelwerd

Return to ...and Everything Else