Page 1 of 2

Finally doing something

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:00 pm
by blksabbath
I’m building a controller for a single 5500w element kettle and two 120 outlets (pump and ???). The plan is one of the neat 2 vessel systems the kids use on the internet...which is close to how I brew anyways.

So here we go.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:51 am
by blksabbath
I'm basing the controller build off of the AIO (All In One) controller found here:

https://skrilnetz.net/the-all-in-one-br ... rol-panel/

It looks pretty simple and will do what I need it to do. I am reusing my trusty keggle and 10gal rubbermaid cooler mashtun at this point. The element will be mounted with a weldless fitting for the time being. I have an Eaton Spa Panel that I need to rig up to utilize the GFCI. My dryer plug is already 4 wires, so I'm good there. Originally I wanted to do the full 3-vessel HERMs build, but decided to keep it simple to start out with just to get things going again. I plan on getting one of those neat boil condensers from Brewershardware to take care of the steam.

Anyways, more to come!

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:05 am
by blksabbath
Cutting more holes.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 pm
by blksabbath
Image

Started wiring. One thing I didn’t think about was how far out the terminal connections might go. I seem to be ok so far but populating the box with the wires is a little bit of a challenge. I’ve sourced my 14g wire from an old extension cord. I bought a neat terminal crimped on amazon that seems to be working well so far.

Baby steps...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm
by Zombrew
Great work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:19 pm
by JohnMcdan
Nicely done! Keep us update mate.

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:05 pm
by blksabbath
Most of the wiring is done. Still need to make the sensor cable and wire up the low voltage stuff.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 pm
by blksabbath
The spa panel/gfci is pretty much done. The controller panel needs the sensor wire and stuff. I made one attempt soldering the little bit wires to the sensor switch and failed miserably. I’m getting old and can’t see shit, then melted the switch. So I have redo that part.
Image
Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 pm
by blksabbath
Tested out the gfci and it all works as it should. I’m kind of stoked even though there’s not much to that part. 240v across the hots and 120v with one hot and neutral. Push the test button and it kills the power to the outlet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm
by blksabbath
Finally got the switch and sensor connections done. The switch basically tricks the controller into thinking the is an temp sensor In use when there isn’t. Optional feature I guess.
Anyways, I need a bigger magnifying glass, more light, and more patience. That being said, it wasn’t too bad. I haven’t powered any part of this yet so we’ll see.
Image
Image
Image
Image



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 am
by blksabbath
Powered up! Pump outlets work correctly. Although something seems weird since the pid isn’t powering the element outlet. Not sure if it’s a sensor if wiring mistake or shitty connection. “orAL”....not sure what that means. Gotta double check it all out tonight if I get time. Sucks i can’t get to the meeting tonight for input.
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:46 am
by blksabbath
Looking at the manual this morning, "orAL" means I goofed something up wiring the switch for the sensor. I'm going to bypass the switch and just hook up the sensor to see if that takes care of the problem.

Once this is controller is done, I have to add the element to my keggle and should be able to do a water run...then finally make beer.

Finally doing something

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:01 am
by blksabbath
Hah! Bypass the switch with the RTD hooked up and it all works. The element out gets 240v when the temp drops below the set point just as it should. I’ll make another attempt with the switch...maybe I fried it soldering or I need better connections.
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm
by blksabbath
Troubleshat the switch[emoji851]. I melted a terminal and that’s the deal. I bought two extra switches so I’ll try again. I also bought a new magnifying glass which should help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:08 pm
by blksabbath
Still messing with this dumbass switch. I have refined and homed my soldering technique but am having a lot of trouble. ADHD and multiple wires plus terminals and various other distractions...I’m probably just going to ditch it. For my silly 2 vessel plan it won’t matter.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk