Page 2 of 2

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:02 am
by blksabbath
Controller is finished and appears to work. Now I’m finishing/refreshing my kettle. I punched the hole for the element and did a test fit. Then I looked at whole thing and thought my ancient keggle is kind of sad looking. I removed all the fittings to clean up. I trimmed the top of the hole to make it round. Then put a sanding disc on my grinder to clean up the outside. I’m not going for a mirror finish...just a quick once over to brighten it up. I almost lost the tip of my finger in the process. Remember, always wear gloves!
Image

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/
ab3154e824ae01428812c8102b9384cd.jpg[/IMG]

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next up, pull thru bulkhead and silver solder. I had all the parts on hand to make a pull thru tool, so why not. Also adding a whirlpool/return port.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally doing something

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am
by blksabbath
Used my dimple tool and soldered in a 1/2” coupling. Looks pretty huh? The original hole for the weldless bulkhead was really close to seam of the keg skirt, so the bottom wouldn’t dimple like the top. But the coupling slide in and I was able straighten it.
Image

Next is to add the element back in, plus the thermometer then leak test.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally doing something

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:57 am
by blksabbath
Leak test failure. I’m resoldering the fitting tonight. I think I got the bottom part of the coupler too hot and burned off the flux before the solder could flow. Should be and easy fix. My element weldless fitting didn’t appear to leak though, so that’s good.


Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageImage

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:05 am
by blksabbath
Image

Gave it another shot last night. Still need to re-leak test tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:36 pm
by rex
Have you seen the step mash program you can flash to an STC-1000 using an Arduino?

https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/b ... /README.md

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:08 am
by blksabbath
Hi Rex! I have seen similar control setups. But this time around I’m keeping it pretty simple and using the logic in a single box.

I resoldered the bulkhead, added a washer to the heating element box, and am now leak free. I have wire the cord and test a few things then will fire it up and make some beer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 pm
by blksabbath
Water test success!!! This is pretty neat and heats incredibly fast. I need to do the auto tune on the controller still but it works and seems to nail the temps. This all has me thinking about my fermentation equipment and upgrades.ImageImage

Before I can brew I need to build/buy a steam condenser. I’ll tackle that and the rolling stand for all this next.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm
by StLBeer
Hey Dan!

Great to see the progress you've made! You did a great job on your controller.

We moved to the city and I have a tiny house now, but a basement I can brew out of.

I'd like to see your set up. It's pretty cool!

Also, I've done the BrewPi stuff. I have lots of parts, etc.

Paul Murphy

Re: Finally doing something

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:13 am
by blksabbath
It’s crazy how the world works, but I no longer drink alcohol and am selling all my gear. I’ll make an official post in the FS section.
Dan G


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk