Substitute for Special B

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Substitute for Special B

Postby BeerGuy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:12 pm

What's everyone using (those that use it) as a substitute for Special B? I'm trying to reformulate my Belgian Dubbel recipe (yes, that one), and I need to compensate for the now unavailable DWC Special B. Didn't some European maltster take up where DWC left off?

Briess has a malt called "Extra Special Malt" that might work, but I'm open to suggestions. Something continental would be preferred.

I noticed that Castle Malting has a product called Special B. Anybody ever use this?
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
BeerGuy

Postby JE » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:41 pm

Sean, I think I have some of that Special B (from Castle). I will have to look and post again later, but if you are not planning on brewing this until after the meeting, I would be willing to get you a pound or two, if I have it!
JE

Postby Benjamin R » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Yeah, I know both Anthony and I ended up with a ton. I'd be happy to toss you some.
Benjamin R

Postby BeerGuy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:12 pm

I may end up needing around 25 lbs., but I'd love to get a pound just to taste it and maybe try out a mini-mash so I can get an idea of what it's like in the wort. If you have a beer that uses a decent proportion of it to show off its character in beer, I'd love to try that too.
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
BeerGuy

Postby HarvInSTL » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Any help?

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/15516/18602.html?1067016394

And from what I can tell based upon other websites, Dingman's is now the replacement for DWC.

http://www.specialtymalts.com/maltster/ ... osyns.html

Question
Are your Special B and Aromatic malts the same or extremely close to those once made by DWC? I was told that they were.
Posed by Bryan Smith, Portland Me. USA on June 17, 2002

Answer
Yes, the Special B and Aromatic from Dingemans are very similar to those that were previously produced at DeWolf-Cosyns.

Question
Hi,

As a user of DWC's Special B, i'd like to know which malt can be used to replace it.
Sadly enough DWC is going to be closed, therefore forcing many (small) brewery and homebrewers to change their recipes. I've heard that the monks of Rochefort have already complained that their beers taste different.

What's your advice? Kind regards,
Herman Holtrop
Posed by Herman, Groningen The Netherlands on May 29, 2002

Answer
We are currently be supplied with Special B from Dingemans of Stabroek, Belgium and have found it to be an excellent replacement for the DeWolf.
HarvInSTL

Postby BeerGuy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:32 pm

I wasn't aware that MFB had anything like Special B in their line. Also, I don't know if I can source Dingmann's malt anywhere, which is the maltster I was thinking of that took over where DWC left off.

I'm hoping the Castle Malt will work out, so I will hold off on hunting down one of the others mentioned above until I try it.
BeerGuy

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:02 am

I have Castle Special B, 3-4 pounds you can have and a mild ale that used some, I could bring a bottle. Missouri Malt Supply was my source of Castle.
Witch Doctor Dale

Return to Ingredients Discussion