Hop help

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Hop help

Postby robk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm new here and have some questions if I may. I live out in Warren County and 4 of us have been growing different type crops for awhile.
Last year was the worlds hottest peppers the Bhut Jolokia which turned out great. These peppers are rated at 1.1 million scoville.

So a couple months ago we were discussing something else to plant when I suggested hops. We are looking at starting with about an acre around 1000 plants. I have spoke with several brew shops about different types of hops and what they would suggest. My question to you is what is your favorite hop and which ones are you worried about not finding in the future.

So if you would give us some ideas we are not brewers but grows and need your expertise in which ones to start. At the end of the year we will be looking for people to try the hops and let us know how we did.

Thank you for your time,

Rob
robk

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:06 pm

My vote goes for Golding, Fuggles, and Northern Brewer. Then again the Big C's, Cascade, Centennial, and Chinook are also good.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby wnordmann » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:00 pm

You might already know this, but hops take a year or two to get growing well.

I'm sure you won't have trouble finding people willing to test you hops for you.
wnordmann

Postby JE » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:00 pm

I vote for Cascade, Goldings (East Kent style) and Northern Brewer!
JE

Postby robk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Yes I know it will take 2 to 3 years before we will see an return. With the amount of vines we are looking to plant we hope the first year will at least give us enough to pass around for people to try. And in return would hopefully give us a market in the following years.

Thank you for your replies and suggestions

Rob
robk

Postby scottt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I also vote for Cascade and Goldings/EKG, but would also suggest adding one variety with a higher alpha acid rating such as Columbus or Chinook.

Great clip of a ESPN's Rob Stone eating a Bhut Jolokia pepper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvK2Y1hv9mY

:shock:
scottt

Return to Ingredients Discussion