Non wheat beer with wheat yeast

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Non wheat beer with wheat yeast

Postby Blimey » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:40 am

I've got a bavarian hefe made with the wyeast weihenstephan yeast in my fermenter and I want to brew another batch on top of that yeast when I transfer, but don't have any wheat left for the new batch. Would I be wasting my time if I brewed a strong ale with it at a lower temp. or would the yeast work out? I also have 5# of cherries I wanted to throw in in the secondary if that matters. Anyone have any input?
Blimey

Postby Benjamin R » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:26 am

Yeast is the biggest fraud to have even been perpetrated on the homebrewer. Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I like the way saying it makes Anthony shake his head and call me an idiot.

In my humble, and minority, opinion you could toss a piece of fresh bread in there and be alright. However, this comes from a guy who uses the cheapest dry yeast he can find. Personally I'd go for it.
Benjamin R

Postby HarvInSTL » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:13 pm

I wouldn't say that I'm calling you an idiot but proper pitching rates do matter in the final taste of your beer and proper attenuation.

With that said a standard 11gram packet of dry yeast has more than enough yeast for a 5gal batch.

I use liquid yeast because of the large variety of strains available.

To the OP's question, you should be fine. And honestly using 3068 for a Strong Ale w/ cherries is a fine idea. Now cherries have a pretty strong flavor and aroma so you might want to start with 3lbs in the secondary and taste every few days. If it needs more cherry aroma/flavor add the remaining cherries.

Now if you used 3056 that might be more of a gamble but I'm sure the final result will still be beer.
HarvInSTL

Return to Ingredients Discussion