What are you doing about the Hop Shortage?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

What are you doing about the Hop Shortage?

Postby Labman2K » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:04 am

Besides buying up local stock of the hops!

Since my "ranch" has several cleared areas I would like to plant and grow some hops next year.

Has anyone tried this with success? If so suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Labman2K
Labman2K

Postby Benjamin R » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 pm

Prez Sean hooked me up with three varieties this spring and 2 have done fairly well. Its not a big harvest, but they seem to have survived and even flourished to a degree during our little drought here. I might have enough to goof with an enamel animal, but not enough to warrant IBU testing.

Next year I expect some rather large plants with a decent harvest, as the plants are well established by now. If that's the case, I'm sure I can find a lab on campus with equipment to give me a alpha levels (looking at you Wash U brews ;))

You really need to account for a grow path of some in your planning. I believe scott uses twine or wire from a stake in the ground to a tree. This would be super handy for harvesting. I went with lattice hung with eye-lets from my garage fascia. Maybe later I'll shoot you a picture of my plants.
Benjamin R

Postby blksabbath » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:56 am

I'm sure I can find a lab on campus with equipment to give me a alpha levels (looking at you Wash U brews )

That's funny. My lab just got a brand spankin new HPLC set-up. I was looking on friday for protocols. Hmm...
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Labman2K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:10 am

Sounds like we're thinking along the same lines. I have a small garage on my property that I was considering hanging two 4' x 8' lattice, then threading some electric fence wire up from the plants to the lattice.

My other consideration was building something that would lean against one of the 20 foot light poles that illuminate my pond. Again using the electric fence wire as a pathway for the plants to follow.

I didn't know how much growth to expect so my first consideration was the garage method. What was the max height for the plants? How much did you water, or is the area well irrigated?

If I can get a Fuggles and Saaz like crop going, one happy brewer will be me :p)

Cheers!

Labman2K
Labman2K

Postby Benjamin R » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 am

I would say they will grow as high as you allow for. Sean gave me the impression they will take over an area if you let them.

I opted for the 4x8 lattice more for ease of harvest than anything. Pretty soon, I'll chop 'em off at the ground and unhook the whole lattice. I can rehang it in the garage for drying and then store for next year.

When my plant first started popping up, I had to train them towards the lattice, but as soon as they made contact they dug right in.
Benjamin R

Postby blksabbath » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 am

You should check out Prez Seans website to see what you are getting yourself into.

I've got some EKG's that are 2 years old. This year I got enough hops to dry hop about growler of pale ale....10-15 cones. :?

I kinda think the shortage is hyped up. Basically we'll just have to pay more, which sucks.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Labman2K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:06 pm

Which WWW would that be? His WWW from the profile brings me to stlbrews.org.

Cheers!

Labman2K
Labman2K

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Witch Doctor Dale

Postby blksabbath » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:35 pm

Show-off! :P
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby Labman2K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:02 pm

I have to agree that I would rather have the smell of hops drying in my vehicle than the pine scented cards. Nice photo :o) It looks like the Prez has had some pretty good success, I wonder how much of a green thumb he has. All of this is very encouraging... Thanks for the dialog!!!

Cheers!

Labman2K
Labman2K

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:09 pm

What am I doing about it?? Making more wine! :P
Jim

Postby Konertjm » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:30 am

Jim wrote:What am I doing about it?? Making more wine! :P

Me Too! :wink:

That and I have about 5 lbs of whole hops in the freezer. :D
In wine there is wisdom,
In Beer there is strength,
In water there is bacteria!
Konertjm

Hop Order

Postby mizzoueng » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 pm

I have a guy (Old West Supply Inc.) that says he will do bulk orders of hops. I am getting his quote on 1 lb orders on a few varaities.

Has any one ever used this supply shop before and if so, would anyone want to go in with me to get a better discount.
mizzoueng

Postby StLBeer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:41 pm

If you're in St Louis, the St Louis Brewer's Union (Kent Robertson) is a great way to get malt and hops. Kent can be reached via this board or at stlmalt@yahoo.com. Though everyone is experiencing an increase in the price of hops and malt it's minimized by the size of the order. If you order the 1 lb size of hops, you usually get more in the bag. Kent can send you the up to date prices.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Ingredients Discussion