Cider Questions

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Cider Questions

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:57 am

Last weekend I tried cider making. Used Organic cider from Schnuks and Nottingham ale yeast. I had on OG of 1.054, so I added no extra sugar. Did a three gallon batch. Used my 6.5 gallon carboy as the primary, was not sure what was going to happen. Fermentation was boring, no frothing foam.By Wednesday, the bubbling had slowed way down. Last night I racked to secondary, had 3/4 inch of sediment and a gravity of 1.021. Its still extremely cloudy, looks like coffee with too much creamer. On the bright side, it didn't taste too bad besides being yeasty..Oh yeah, fermentation temps are 70-75.
Now the question.....Do you all think I need to repitch yeast? If so, what kind (more ale, champaigne?) Or am I just worried over nothing and wait out what proves to be a slower fermentation?
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby blksabbath » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm thinking you racked too early. Every cider I've made (maybe 7-8 batches) ended up at ~1.000 before it quit and I usually gave them about 2 weeks before I did anything. That's with both ale, champagne, and cider yeasts. They all started about the same as what you found as well (~1.052-54) too. You said it was cloudy and tasted yeasty, I have a feeling that the yeast left in suspension will slowly work their way thru and you'll end up with the usual low FG. You could repitch, but I think it'll probably take care of itself if you give it time.

those are my thoughts after one pumpkin barleywine and 2x chocolate stout. :lol:

good luck!

Oh yeah, give your cider some time to age too. They seem to keep getting better and better when you let them go.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:25 am

I've always racked when there was still some signs of fermentation so that there would be enough activity left to use up any oxygen that gets mixed in. I was under the impression that cider was a rapid fermentation and would drop very quickly. Is this a wrong assumption?
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby blksabbath » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:01 am

In limited experience, the fermentations don't move along as quickly as most beers. How is more oxygen going to get mixed in? When racking and bottling?
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:27 am

Siphoning from one container to the next, I don't have the means to displace air in anything. When bottling, I figure the priming sugar should eat up what little oxygen gets in.
Witch Doctor Dale

Cider

Postby DStauder » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Dale,

PM or email the Cider King - (Mike K.) He is sure to point you in the right direction considering all the competitions he has entered and placed.

Dan
DStauder
Site Admin

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 pm

Mike was the one who suggested I make a post on this topic. A modest man, if ever there was one, tho he is now (after much prodding) pointing me in the correct direction.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby wnordmann » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Are you going to share what you decided to do?
wnordmann

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:06 am

If it is fit to be drunk!
Witch Doctor Dale

Return to Ingredients Discussion