Melenoidin Malt

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Melenoidin Malt

Postby beermikester » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am

I've always felt that using Melanoidin malt was sort of "cheating", and that a decoction would be better for getting those melanoidin flavors. However, on Monday, I'm planning on making an Imperial Oktoberfest, and don't have the time to spend doing decoctions. Additionally, I have some Melanoidin that I'd like to use.

For an Oktoberfest, I don't really want too much melanoidin flavor, but I would like a small amount. My question relates to how much to use. I assume I can substitutes some amount of Melanoidin malt for the Pilsner malt on an even basis? What would be a good amount to use? Is 0.5 lb for five gallons enough?

Anybody have much experience using Melanoidin Malt?

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Re: Melenoidin Malt

Postby jeffjm » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:02 pm

I use it in my bigger German beers frequently. For a five gallon batch of doppelbock, I use four ounces. For my dortmunder, and for my standard-strength Octoberfest, it's only two. In those quantities, its contribution to OG is so minimal it doesn't make sense to me to think in terms of substituting for base malt.

Melanoiden malt is strong stuff, and it's easy to overdo it. Too much can give your beer a rally thick mouthfeel that just doesn't seem right. I once tried using two ounces in a German pils and never did so again because it was way too bready and not crisp enough. Looking through the recipes where I use it, I seem to stay in the 1-1.5% range.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby beermikester » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Wow. Great advice. I had no idea it was that strong. Glad I didn't go with the 8 oz as I had originally thought of doing! I think I'll take your advice and go with two.

Thanks again,

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby rsc3da » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Melanoidin malt gives a beer a different type of maltiness than doing decoction(s), it is no substitute for it in my opinion. It's kind of similar to Aromatic malt in the contribution it makes if you have ever used that malt before. Use it sparingly. I can always tell when a beer has this malt in it because when I was experimenting with different malts I made a beer with quite a bit of it and the beer was basically undrinkable, it was too "melanoidiny". It's like an extreme malt sweetness to where it can become cloying. I know that many pro brewers use this malt when they want to get an intense maltiness in some of their beers like Oktoberfest and Bock while eliminating the time and energy costs, but I think decoction(s) will make a better beer.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Return to Ingredients Discussion