What's your favorite Australian/New Zealand hop?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

What's your favorite Australian/New Zealand hop?

Postby seymour » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:42 pm

That's it: name your favorite type of hop grown in Australia or New Zealand.

Discuss. Recipes and/or hopping schedules would be even better. As always, rebuttals to other posts are welcome, but don't forget to make your case with some background info of your own.

Cheers!
seymour

Re: What's your favorite Australian/New Zealand hop?

Postby TCochran » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:04 pm

I just bought a pound of AU Galaxy. I have never used it previously. I brewed a Brett IPA with Galaxy, Sorachi Ace & Citra. I will let you know next week.
TCochran

Postby seymour » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:23 am

TCochran wrote:I just bought a pound of AU Galaxy. I have never used it previously. I brewed a Brett IPA with Galaxy, Sorachi Ace & Citra. I will let you know next week.

Wow, that sounds delicious, can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA is 100% Galaxy. I understand this is many Schlafly's brewer's favourite in their whole lineup. They wish it could be a year-round offering but claim the island nation isn't even capable of growing enough Galaxy to make that possible!
seymour

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 am

The only two I've used so far are Galaxy and Pacific Gem. Since it was my first time with them, I did single-hop IPAs. The Galaxy one was probably my second favorite IPA I've ever brewed. We killed the keg in like three weeks. In fact, I just brewed an 11 gallon batch that I'll be kegging next week.

As for Pacific Gem, I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't buy it again. I loved the aroma, but the flavor wasn't anything special. It might blend well with other hops, but on its own, it was just kind of bland. I didn't really pick up on much, if any, of the blackberry notes they say are present.

I've actually got 6 ounces of Kohatu, Topaz, and Pacific Gem that I got for free from William's Brewing that I'm trying to decide what to do with. Maybe I'll mix and match and do an Imperial Down Under IPA.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby seymour » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:13 pm

turkeyjerky214 wrote:The only two I've used so far are Galaxy and Pacific Gem. Since it was my first time with them, I did single-hop IPAs...

As for Pacific Gem, I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't buy it again. I loved the aroma, but the flavor wasn't anything special. It might blend well with other hops, but on its own, it was just kind of bland. I didn't really pick up on much, if any, of the blackberry notes they say are present...

I'm drinking through a single-hop Pacific Gem IPA right now too. I wouldn't go so far as "bland" because I think it has a nice sharp bitterness and uniquely grassy, weedy, chamomile, mint, herbal tea flavours and aromas, but comparatively subtle. I agree with you, Pacific Gem isn't a great standalone choice, and I didn't really pickup the berry notes others have described either.

I love these single hop trials which help us train our palates and identify exactly which hops are contributing which aspects, even though they don't typically result in the best beers in their own rite. I think Pacific Gem would work well as a kettle hop with some other fruitier, citrusier, more complex late additions. Like say...Galaxy? :)
seymour

Postby seymour » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:50 am

Bump.

For anyone who's interested in training your own palate to some Australian/New Zealand single-hop brews:

Alpha Brewing currently has a Pacific Gem IPA on tap, and Schlafly Bottleworks has a Hop Trial: Vic Secret on tap. They're describing Vic Secret as a Galaxy cousin and possible replacement. It may have some overlapping parentage, but its brewing traits are very different (but pretty cool in its own way.) That's my opinion, but I'd love to hear other people's reactions to the same beers.

Cheers!
seymour

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:19 pm

I tried the Hop Trial a couple weeks ago. It was during a happy hour so I didn't try to analyze it too much. It was good, but I still prefer Galaxy. Can't wait to put my Galaxy IPA on tap tomorrow....
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby seymour » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 am

Last night, Schlafly put another Australian hop trial on tap: Ella.

I highly recommend everyone sample this one. It's very similar to Galaxy, and it could be argued its differences make it even more versatile and nuanced. If you believe the buzz, it seems Ella might be the next big dual-purpose hop sensation...
seymour

Return to Ingredients Discussion