Hops growing yet?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Hops growing yet?

Postby beermikester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 am

I planted hops last year, and they did really well for their first year. I even got a small amount of hops off of them.

They haven't sprouted yet, this year. With the weather we've been having, I kind of thought I'd see them coming up already. For those of you that have hop plants, have they started sprouting yet?

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Re: Hops growing yet?

Postby blksabbath » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 am

5 year old EKGs thriving in a pot. The picture was from a week ago...they are quit a bit taller now.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby seymour » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Some of mine are about 3 ft tall right now.
seymour

Postby beermikester » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Crap. They did so well last year, I thought they would grow back really well. Sounds like they're not doing what they should be by this point in time. :(

beermikester
Site Admin

Postby jeffjm » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:06 pm

I have two three-year-old Centennials that are taking off. Like Seymour's, they are several feet high by now.

I also have a second-year Cascade that is doing nicely. There's an empty spot next to it where there should be another second-year Cascade. I don't know what happened. Some of my wife's perennials aren't coming back like you'd expect, either. Maybe some plants weren't hardy enough to survive this winter's extreme cold.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby blksabbath » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

I was seriously blown away how tough these guys are. They are actually 7+ years old now that I think about it. When I moved 5 years ago, I dug them up and threw them in a bucket. They were in a basement closet growing with no light in a garage, no water either. They were white. Ever seen the fun white asparagus that is popular in spain? Then one summer outside and then into the garage. The last two years I have just pulled the pot out, put up the pvc trellis, and letem go. They flower, but I never harvest them due to lack of time. Maybe this will be the year I'll actually do something with them.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Postby seymour » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 am

beermikester wrote:Crap. They did so well last year, I thought they would grow back really well. Sounds like they're not doing what they should be by this point in time. :(

No, no, Mike, don't despair. If they were strong last year, and if they're alive at all right now, I guarantee they'll be strong again this year. My plants are several years older, yours are still developing their underground root & rhizome network where the energy for early season growth is stored. As yours form new leaves, photosynthesis resumes, and they'll start taking-off like crazy, you'll see.

Also, even across town or even around different parts of your yard, there are micro-climate differences (soil conditions, amount of water, hours of sunlight per day, etc) all of which account for the differences you're seeing.

Case in point: not all my plants are so tall, some younger seedlings are still tiny, but nothing to worry about.
seymour

Postby jeffjm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Mike, have your hops started to come up yet? I just found some shoots in that empty spot, so don't give up hope.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby beermikester » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 am

Not yet :(

I had six plants last year, and none have sprouted yet.

Mike

beermikester
Site Admin

Return to Ingredients Discussion