oak chips in the keg?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

oak chips in the keg?

Postby Mike C-Z » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Just curious if anyone else has much experience with this. Ive done it before and never got tannin astringency but to be fair we drank through the keg pretty quick. I know that people that dry hop in the keg and leave them in say they never get vegtable flavors. Is there something about being in the keg that prevents these off flavors from developing?
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: oak chips in the keg?

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Whenever I dry hop in the keg, I either move it to my lagering fridge or kegerator after 5 days. I've never gotten any grassy off-flavors this way (at least as far as I could tell). I'm not sure how this would differ with oak as I'm just now doing my first oaked beer. For that one, I tied some unwaxed, unflavored floss to the piece of oak and tied the other end to the outside of my keg. Once I get the desired level of oakiness, I'll just pop open the lid and lift out the oak. You could do the same thing with oak chips in a hop bag.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby JoeHPhil » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Maybe a poor example, but I have simply dropped oak chips (previously soaked in bourbon) in the keg and left them there. I do not normally drop much since I do not fish them out, but I have left them in a BW for over a year in one case.
JoeHPhil

Postby Mike C-Z » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Good feedback, thanks. Yeah, I've left 2 oz. French oak chips soaked in booze in the keg probably 2-3 months before with no off flavors. And I always dump the liquor in with the chips. Has anyone ever had a beer that developed excessive tannins from oak aging their beer - due to extensive contact time with the oak? Maybe this is an example of advice that isnt accurate.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby JoeHPhil » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:39 pm

never - but I always do it in a pretty flavorful beer (Wee heavy, old ale, barleywine), might not be noticable.
JoeHPhil

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:46 am

I have welded "hoplups" (or had Sully do it) to many of my kegs. This gives me something to tie a bag to so I can remove my wood chips, hops, whatever when I need to.
Witch Doctor Dale

Return to Ingredients Discussion