Anyone want to sell me 12lbs of 2row?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Anyone want to sell me 12lbs of 2row?

Postby HarvInSTL » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:52 am

With this last group grain buy taking longer than normal I'm stuck without some grain.

I just finished up the recipe for my "Hog Days Imperial Haberano Smoked Porter" (yeah say that 5 times fast) and it appears that I'm short about 12 pounds of US 2row. I'd rather not pay $15 for 10lbs from the LHBS unless I have to.

Name your price (my kidney and first born are available options) and when I can pick it up. (I plan on mashing in @ 6am tomorrow morning).

Thanks!
HarvInSTL

Postby JE » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Anthony,

I have plenty of 2-Row available that I could get you 12 pounds. I have another option...I would ALMOST be willing to GIVE you 12 pounds of it if you make about 2.5 extra gallons without the Habanero in it for me to play with for a nice Jalapeno-Honey Porter that I have been working on.

If you think this might be an option, perhaps we can combine our two recipes and make a great Porter for us both to play around with!

Let me know if this is an option for you...I don't get off work until 4:30 so I couldn't share my recipe until after then. I can more than likely bring the grain to you (ground if you'd like - but that'll cost you) this evening unless you feel like driving to South City!
JE

Postby HarvInSTL » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:13 pm

JE wrote:Anthony,

I have plenty of 2-Row available that I could get you 12 pounds. I have another option...I would ALMOST be willing to GIVE you 12 pounds of it if you make about 2.5 extra gallons without the Habanero in it for me to play with for a nice Jalapeno-Honey Porter that I have been working on.

If you think this might be an option, perhaps we can combine our two recipes and make a great Porter for us both to play around with!

Let me know if this is an option for you...I don't get off work until 4:30 so I couldn't share my recipe until after then. I can more than likely bring the grain to you (ground if you'd like - but that'll cost you) this evening unless you feel like driving to South City!

Here is my recipe for 5.5gallons. I can adjust it and make a full 11gallons. Don't worry about the peppers because those will be added to the secondary, (I have them soaking in rum right now).

If I need to double this recipe I will be short on Smoked Malt,CaraPils,Black Patent, and Chocolate and I would need 24lbs of 2row instead of 12.

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.14 %
4 lbs Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.5 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Two things, I have dinner with the inlaws tonight between 7-9pm. So anytime before that I'm free and anytime after that I'm free. As well the goal is to be doughed in by 6:30am so with 60-90min mash & sparge, 60min boil and another 15-20min to pump thru the plate chiller this beer should be ready to hit the fermenter by 9:30am.
HarvInSTL

Postby JE » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

Well, I can get you the 2-Row with no issues...I am not wanting to do a Smoked Porter, so the idea of upping your batch might not work out afterall (I only wanted 2 - 2.5 gallons by the way). I will post my recipe when I get home and see if we might come to a good median somewhere.

I probably have most of the other grains that you would need (minus the smoked malt) too. So if you are a little short on anything after I post my recipe and if we figure out a good combo, then I will be more than happy to bring other grains too. I am almost always awake by 9:00, so I know it won't be an issue for me to get there in time for splitting either...we will worry about all this stuff after I get my recipe up!!!!
JE

Postby JE » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:08 pm

Okay. Anthony...

After coming home and looking at my recipe again I realized that I was going to make an Amber Ale - just to be a little different. So I guess this isn't going to work on combining recipes.

However, the 12 pounds of 2-Row are still yours for the low price of free...if you drive down to pick it up. Otherwise, I may charge you a $5.00 carrying fee. :D

Or we could settle for a nice cold beer when I get there!
JE

Return to Ingredients Discussion