unmalted wheat

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

unmalted wheat

Postby Mike C-Z » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 am

I'm thinking about making a berliner weisse with 50% unmalted wheat. Anyone ever do this? If so, what were your results? Any suggestions?
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Re: unmalted wheat

Postby beermikester » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 am

Unmalted will give you a little more wheat flavor, and does a better job at contributing permanent starch haze. That being said, when I make a wheat beer, witbier, etc., I have 50% barley and 50% wheat. Of the wheat portion, I have that be 50% unmalted, 50% malted.

So final grain bill is usually on the order of 25% malted wheat, 25% unmalted wheat, 50% barley.

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby Mike C-Z » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Mike do you do a cereal mash for the unmalted wheat? Im out of malted wheat right now so I'm improvising. Maybe I'll do 25% rye malt just for fun.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby beermikester » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 am

I personally don't use a cereal mash. And I probably don't get 100% conversion out of it. But by doing 50/50 of malted and unmalted, I get the wheat flavor I want and the hazy look and feel of a wheat beer.

Mike

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby seymour » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:27 am

beermikester wrote:I personally don't use a cereal mash. And I probably don't get 100% conversion out of it. But by doing 50/50 of malted and unmalted, I get the wheat flavor I want and the hazy look and feel of a wheat beer.

+1
seymour

Postby Mike C-Z » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

About a month ago I made the 50/50 pilsner/unmalted wheat beer. Mash hopped and no boil with a step mash. Very wheaty flavor with a soft rounded character to it. Its tasty, but not nearly as tart as I would like. I imagine it is closer to an unspiced wit than a berliner weisse. Anyone else make a beer like this? Feedback?
Mike C-Z

Return to Ingredients Discussion