Water Mineral Content

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Postby StLBeer » Thu May 10, 2007 4:35 pm

Crap, I used the wrong numbers too. I got them switched around.

For MAWC districts South and Meramec:

Total Hardness avg 99.8
NON C Hardness avg 31.4 (Ca 18.3 + Mg 13.1)
-------------------------------------------------------
C Hardness Avg 68.4 ppm

Milliequivelents of hardness avg is 99.88 using Palmers formula.

JJJ, how does that translate in Promash? What are the units? I've downloaded ProMash and haven't figured out the water numbers yet.
StLBeer

Postby JJJ » Fri May 11, 2007 9:45 am

With 68.4 ppm carbonate, Palmers formula gives CaCO3 hardness as 171 (confirmed with promash). Then using Promash, CaCO3 hardness at PH of 10.03 translates to HCO3 of 104.19

These tools are available in the water entry window. On the bottom of the Promash screen click water, you can then add a water profile. In this screen you can access the calculator I used for this.
JJJ-

Friar Tuck - "This is grain... which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about..... beer."
JJJ

Postby brewsci » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:12 pm

Just moved to STL and trying to get a feel for the water profile. After reading this thread I am thoroughly confused. Can someone post the final water profile for south STL?
brewsci

Postby StLBeer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 pm

brewsci wrote:Can someone post the final water profile for south STL?

City or County? They are quite a bit different depending. There are actually 2 different water treatment entities.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby brewsci » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm

south st. louis county, but we border the city. I don't know how strict the cutoff is for water distribution
brewsci

Postby StLBeer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:14 pm

If you get you're bill from Missouri American Water the posting I made regarding my water supply should work for you. It's for the South and Meramec regions of distribution.

It's fairly alkaline....
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Previous

Return to Ingredients Discussion