Aromatic malt substitute?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Aromatic malt substitute?

Postby Mike C-Z » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I have everything except .25 lb of aromatic malt for a Saison recipe. Is there a suitable substitute for this grain? If not, where could I-inexpensively-pick up a small amount? Thanks.

Mike
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby Dustin_J » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Melanoid malt is supposed to be quite similar. Also, dark Munich or maybe something like victory would probably be OK in such a small quantity. Alternatively, if you want to come to the CWE to pick it up I'd be happy to just give you 1/4 lb of Aromatic Malt as I have plenty sitting around.
Dustin_J

Postby ericburnley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:26 pm

Honestly, being only .25 lb, I doubt that it'll make a huge difference if you don't have it. Many saison recipes are just pils, maybe a little wheat/vienna/munich/sugar/something- I'd just replace it w/ pils. It's the yeast choice and fermentation temp that'll give it notable saison character.

That said, I'd bet someone on here would have some to trade/give. Not trying to discourage you from using it, just don't get in the mindset that you HAVE to have it to make a good saison.
ericburnley

Return to Ingredients Discussion