Decoction mashing on a Doppelbock

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Decoction mashing on a Doppelbock

Postby l1chris » Tue May 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I plan on using a triple decoction mash on a doppelbock with the following recipe but i know the decoction mash adds a lot of maltiness and some sweetness, so i'm a little nervous about the amount of caramunich this recipe calls for. I don't believe this recipe calls for a decoction mash so are they compensating with the caramunich instead, or should i go ahead with this recipe while doing the decoction mash? Help!!
4 lbs pilsener
14 lbs Munich malt
2 lbs Caramunich 60L
5 gallon batch
l1chris

Postby Michael » Tue May 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Not sure how to reply. If the recipe did not use decoctions, then the Caramunich should be OK. However, this grain bill seems way over the top for a 5 gallon batch of Dopplebock. I know that your efficiency may vary but it does seem like a lot of grain. I would go with 1/2 lb. of Caramunich for a triple decoction. I love what decoction does for a brew, but I have never done a triple.

Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby brewsci » Tue May 05, 2009 3:15 pm

just a question, but if you are doing a decoction for a doppelbock do you need any caramunich?
brewsci

Postby Michael » Tue May 05, 2009 4:02 pm

My take is no, it's not needed. Any decoction will give you enough melanoidins to get the character you're looking for. My $.02!!

Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Return to Ingredients Discussion