Beware of Williams Brewing

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Beware of Williams Brewing

Postby MIKEW » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 pm

A bit of a rant...

I use mostly dry yeast, and they have good prices especially when you buy 12+ and get the discount. I just got an order in and 6 packages expire in May and 4 more in July. This is on a product with a shelf life that is normally 2 years.

I emailed them stating that I thought it was crap that they would send out that much expiring product. They did offer a refund if I send it back, which is a PITA for me to have to do, so I suggested a partial refund or credit for a future purchase as the amount in question is not worth my time to bother sending back. They refused that, restating their return policy. I mentioned they are losing a customer and I'll let other brewers I know that their policy is to ship old product but give you the option to ship back if you don't want their old product. They restated their offer.

So...there it is. Not sure if I am being unfair to them. I could have returned the items for a full refund including shipping, I just think it is crappy they would send out almost expired yeast to online customers who cannot see the date before purchase.
MIKEW

Postby HarvInSTL » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 pm

I quit shopping there after they charged me almost $7 for first class shipping to mail me two poppets and 2 ounces of hops.

It was even worse when the label had the postage listed as $2 and change. I understand you have to pay someone to box it and the box itself, but damn!
HarvInSTL

Postby trishdadish » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks for the heads-up...never heard of em' myself. That's very disreputable and dishonorable of them, to say the least. What did they expect you to be able to do with 6 packs of yeast received on April 22nd? Brew all 6 batches up prior to the end of May?

I would suggest that you call Williams back and tell them that you will file a complaint with the BBB in MO/IL, should they not immediately refund your money. If they insist upon wanting the product back, then they should send you a return mail, postage-paid envelope for doing so--since this is their error. (When one ships back to Amazon and it is their fault, they always pay for the return postage--it's only fair!) Then you should follow through with the BBB and with your plan to post this negative vendor experience on ALL of the major beer forums. Especially if they will not play ball with you.

I'm peeved off on your behalf! Go get em'! :x
trishdadish

Postby MIKEW » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:37 pm

Their shipping charges did annoy me - my 2# box of yeast packets cost $8 to ship because it was in the 70-80 price range. 20# of grain would have cost less to ship. I was buying 6-8 months worth as well as splitting with a friend, so it didn't bother me that much. It was the yeast dated 5/2009 that bothered me.
MIKEW

Postby MIKEW » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 pm

trishdadish wrote:Thanks for the heads-up...never heard of em' myself. That's very disreputable and dishonorable of them, to say the least. What did they expect you to be able to do with 6 packs of yeast received on April 22nd? Brew all 6 batches up prior to the end of May?
Apparantly. :roll: They were "sorry" I was unhappy with my purchase.
trishdadish wrote:I would suggest that you call Williams back and tell them that you will file a complaint with the BBB in MO/IL, should they not immediately refund your money. If they insist upon wanting the product back, then they should send you a return mail, postage-paid envelope for doing so--since this is their error. (When one ships back to Amazon and it is their fault, they always pay for the return postage--it's only fair!) Then you should follow through with the BBB and with your plan to post this negative vendor experience on ALL of the major beer forums. Especially if they will not play ball with you.
I exchanged a few emails with someone who I think was a manager as it came from his address instead of the "service" address. I explained to him it was a PITA for me to have to cover for their mistake/lack of disclosure. He didn't seem to care. The dumb thing was it would have been easier for both of us for him to credit my account the $10 or so I mentioned I thought was fair, and probably cheaper for them. Of course I do have 60 days to return it - so I could send it back in June for my credit and they can eat the entire cost if they want...

I'll happily point this out on several boards though.
trishdadish wrote:I'm peeved off on your behalf! Go get em'! :x
Thanks!
MIKEW

Postby psyphinx » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 am

Ive ordered from pretty much all the online shops, including Williams and while I didnt encounter the problem you had I just gotta say that my go to shops in order are

Northern Brewer
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
B3 (IF and only IF they have something I cant get from the other 2 shops cause the wait time from Cali is freakin brutal.)
psyphinx

Return to Ingredients Discussion