Quantity for cocoa addition

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Quantity for cocoa addition

Postby BeerGuy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 pm

For those that have used cocoa in a beer, how much did you use? How did the cocoa (chocolate) level come out? Would you decrease or increase the amount? How did you use it (mash, boil, secondary)? Any other tricks or thoughts would be helpful.

I am considering a brew with cocoa, and would like to get thoughts on it's use. I'd rather not go the chocolate extract/flavoring route, but I do consider it an option, albeit less desirable than cocoa. I might use a small amount to touch up the cocoa/chocolate aroma in the bottle or keg, but I'd rather derive much of the flavor and aroma from natural cocoa if possible.

Sean
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
BeerGuy

Postby HarvInSTL » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 am

I have used 1oz Unsweetened Cocoa in the boil. I added it with 5 minutes left in the boil.

I can barely taste it in the finished product. But that 2oz of Raspberry Extract might have something to do with that.

All the extracts I've tasted, taste like crap. With that said check with Dave and see if he can get you some of the extract they use in their Coco Cream Stout. (That is if they use extract in it)
HarvInSTL

Postby JE » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 am

I used 4 oz. in the boil (30 min) and it was only slightly noticable...I also used Baker's chocolate, not powdered cocoa. Oh, and the oils in the baking chocolate didn't really mess things up too much, although the head looked a little like bubbly oil slick... :shock:

I have heard that about 8 oz. of powdered cocoa in a five gallon batch gives a nice chocolate touch, but have not personally played with it that much.

I would think too that putting it in later in the boil would be more beneficial for the aroma, but I would stick with a 15 - 20 min addition for the flavor. I could be wrong there though...

Hope this helps!
JE

Postby Mike C-Z » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:50 pm

We used 8 oz. of raw/de-shelled cacao nibs in the secondary. They were between $4-$6 for 6 oz. from whole foods on Brentwood. We also had five pounds of sweet cherries and ancho peppers in the secondary at the same time. As the beer warmed, the different flavors came out. The chocolate flavor was very nice. We entered it into the HHHC and scored high. I think I'll have one tonight and see how the flavors have held up.
Teaching that does not promote learning makes as much sense as brewing that does not promote drinking.
Mike C-Z

Postby BeerGuy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

I had considered the cacao nibs route, as this is what Sam Adams uses in their chocolate beers. A bit on the pricey side compared to cocoa powder, but even more authentic.

Hmm, where's that email address for Jim Koch? :wink:
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
BeerGuy

Postby brew lady » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 pm

I gotta say while they/cocoa nibs are more expensive than powder, I really liked that it was easy to add them to the secondary, and just let them sit. When it had the flavor we wanted we racked the beer off them.
Kelly

On tap:
Hard lemonade
Russian Imperial Stout
Smoked Wiezen
APA

Primary:
Imperial Pumpkin Ale
Old Ale
Sour
brew lady

Postby jay8s » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 pm

I used 8 oz of cocoa in my chocolate hazelnut porter, and it was very smooth. I added it with 5 min before knock out. It has a very subtle flavor, but then again I put like 3 oz of Hazelnut into it that is abit overpowering.

John
jay8s

Return to Ingredients Discussion