Washing Yeast

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Washing Yeast

Postby Stonkey44 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Ok, I brewed a stout about a month ago and saved a bunch of the trub in a sanitized growler in the fridge. Today (3-8) I decided that I will finally try washing the yeast and I would like to cut a little cost and reuse it. I do not have a mason jar, so I will be using the growler again, washed and sanitized of course, to store it for a little while until I use it.

My questions about this are:
1) How long can I save this yeast in the sealed growler, fermentation has pretty much stopped so there is no need for an airlock, plus it will not fit with one.

2) From pictures I have seen the yeast from washing was similar color as the Wyeast Activator package I used, I can see the yeast separating at the top of mine is much darker. Is this due to the fact that I made a stout?

3) When I go to pitch this into a new batch, is making a starter best or will direct pitching be fine.

Thanks in advance to all that post.
When the world is too dark
And I need the light inside of me
Ill walk into a bar
And drink fifteen pints of beer

-Shane MacGowan
Stonkey44

Postby beermikester » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:03 pm

I would think that the yeast would probably still be okay. However, to be on the safe side, I think it would be a good idea to make a starter. If the starter does nothing, you know the yeast was bad.
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby Stonkey44 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Yea I was thinking the same thing. I went and got some mason jars, and I had enough to fill up 2 8oz jars. I figure I will make a starter with one in a couple of days and see if its good and then save the other until I actually brew.
When the world is too dark
And I need the light inside of me
Ill walk into a bar
And drink fifteen pints of beer

-Shane MacGowan
Stonkey44

Postby brewsci » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 am

Keeping yeast for 1 month in the fridge is no problem. It will definitely still be good. Depending on your beer you could pitch straight (lower OG) or make a starter if it is higher

Check out mrmalty.com for amounts.
brewsci

Return to Ingredients Discussion