Yeast starter question

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Yeast starter question

Postby beermikester » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:23 pm

I have some lager yeast that I harvested from a previous batch. I think I'd like to make a starter with it just to make sure I start with plenty for a new batch I am making.

I know this is a really stupid question, but I know that lager yeasts tend to like colder temps than ale yeasts for fermenting. Is this also the case with a starter? In other words, can I make a starter of lager yeast and keep it at room temperature (68 deg or so) until ready to pitch, or should I make the starter and keep that at lager fermentation temperature (52 deg)?
beermikester
Site Admin

Postby bacillus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:56 pm

It is not so much the process of growing the yeast aerobically that temp is an issue - these yeasts like to ferment glucose (no O2) at cooler temps (not oxidize or assimilate glucose as they would in O2) so you should be just fine at warmer temps!
"Nunc est bibendum!"

On Tap 1:Pliny the Elder Clone
On Tap 2: Coors Light :roll:
On Tap 3: Hefeweizen
On Deck: Corona clone
bacillus

Postby brewsci » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

I would do the starter at room temp, then crash in the fridge for 24 hours an decant. That way you won;t be putting a lot of esters into your lager from your starter and your yeast will be closer to pitching temp than if they were at room temp
brewsci

Postby dblue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:45 pm

brewsci wrote:I would do the starter at room temp, then crash in the fridge for 24 hours an decant. That way you won;t be putting a lot of esters into your lager from your starter and your yeast will be closer to pitching temp than if they were at room temp

++
dblue

Return to Ingredients Discussion