Honey shortage next?

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Honey shortage next?

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:50 am

AS if the honey industry didn't have enough problems!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090109/ap_ ... tangerines

And rumor has it that California has the best Orange Blossom Honey.
Might want to buy some now, if the courts favor the citrus growers, this honey will shoot up in price.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby BeerGuy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 am

If the Orange Blossom honey supply dries up, we'll just have to switch to this variety:

http://tinyurl.com/9x3yzh

:shock:
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
BeerGuy

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 am

I have read that it is quite tasty.
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with varietal honeys lately, the distinctive flavors and colors reall boggle the imagination.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby bacillus » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 am

Just as an aside:

I am going to start raising bee's this spring. Right now I have 3 acres with mostly wildflowers, oaks, aspen's, and a few random fruit trees. Should be an interesting honey.

Thinking of planting some specific trees/flowers for them, any suggestions? I have a mulberry tree, wonder if they like that and how the honey would taste?
"Nunc est bibendum!"

On Tap 1:Pliny the Elder Clone
On Tap 2: Coors Light :roll:
On Tap 3: Hefeweizen
On Deck: Corona clone
bacillus

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:03 pm

My sons inlaws just added some bees last year to a chunk of property they have in the St James area. They harvested some honey just recently and I got a 6 oz jar since they knew I liked honey. When you get honey from a rather specific type of plant, it does have variations. I know what their property looks like and I believe that this is a combination of many varieties of plants that went into this honey. It's very good, but I do pick up some flavors I've never tasted before. I get a bit of citrus and maybe a bit of pine. Very subdued, but still there. I think Dale P is correct about the nuances of honey.

Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby scottt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:22 pm

I just cracked open a jar of Apalachicola Tupelo honey I brought back from Florida. It smells amazing!
scottt

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Tupalo honey makes a great mead! One of my favorites. Awaiting their own carboys, I have sourwood honey, tulip popular, fireweed, and blackberry blossom (an old favorite!). Currently bubbling away I have Cranberry blossom (one batch with cranberries), Clover (one with cider, one awaiting a bunch of pie cherries), mesquite, and carrot blossom. One gallon batches are relatively inexpensive way to determine what honeys you really like. As far as wild flower honeys go, I must give Kent a plug, his wildflower is excellant and it made my best batch yet of gooseberry mead.
Witch Doctor Dale

Return to Ingredients Discussion