Hazelnut Extract Source

General brewing ingredients discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Hazelnut Extract Source

Postby jay8s » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Who knows where I can find some? I have been to Pensies (sp) in Maplewood, as well as the new Whole Foods. Any ideas?

Thanks
John
jay8s

Postby BrewmanDJ » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 am

Try the spice shop in St. Charles.
Is there anything beer can't do? Hank Hill
BrewmanDJ

Postby OldTree » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 am

In case you can't find it locally...

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16749//Hazelnut_Flavoring_-_25_ml

Seems like a local homebrew shop would have this though.

Cheers,
Augie
OldTree

Hazelnut

Postby Bob Brews » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:53 am

I have experimented with a few different types in my beers (and those of you who know me, know I like to experiment).

The best ones I have found are:

Use Frangelica, which is a sweet liqueur with a very strong hazelnut flavor. I have used it at bottling time instead of priming sugar (it has quite a bit of residual sugar) and it kills two birds with one stone.

Contact local homebrew supply stores (or google homebrew liqueur). Many carry a line of extracts used to use to make all different kinds of liqueurs (Baileys, Kahlua, etc). They will have a Frangelica type liqueur extract (you mix will some grain alcohol and cream). Use that bottle of extract straight to flavor your beer.

With both, my suggestion is to start off with half of the amount you think is right and taste. Then add more if needed.

Good luck.
Bob Brews

Postby jay8s » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks guys. I am doing a Chocolate Hazelnut Porter that wants 2 oz at bottling. I will start with 1 and work my way up.

Worms does not have any, I might be able to get out to STBeer, but if not I will check the spice shop.

John
jay8s

Re: Hazelnut

Postby HarvInSTL » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Bob Brews wrote:Many carry a line of extracts used to use to make all different kinds of liqueurs (Baileys, Kahlua, etc). They will have a Frangelica type liqueur extract (you mix will some grain alcohol and cream). Use that bottle of extract straight to flavor your beer.

With both, my suggestion is to start off with half of the amount you think is right and taste. Then add more if needed.

Good luck.

+1

I smelled a hazelnut liqueur last time I was at STL Wine and Beer and both Dave & I agree that it would make an amazing hazelnut porter.

I'll post my Smoked Hazelnut Porter recipe once I brew it.
HarvInSTL

Return to Ingredients Discussion