old recipe from 2001 or so

Post & comment on beer, cider & mead recipes

Moderator: rsc3da

old recipe from 2001 or so

Postby Robotfan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:05 pm

I was a member of this group around 200-2001 or so. I had to drop out for a while (leg amputation, 5 way bypass, brain surgery, dialysis, having everything I owned stolen from me, and on and on). It's my understanding that back then member recipes were saved. I had created a beer for the big beer meeting. It was unique in that it was carbonated with cream sherry instead of corn sugar. I had originally adapted the recipe from an old British magazine called "Amateur Winemaker and Home Brewer."

Were member recipes saved, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm assembling equipment for my first batch in over a decade It will take a month or two to buy what I need.

Re: old recipe from 2001 or so

Postby beermikester » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:41 am

It looks like our posts only go back as far as 2007. I am the current webmaster, and I've looked through all of the files on the site, including pages that are no longer displayed. But I can't seem to find any recipe cache. Sorry.

On Tap: Northern Brown Ale, Imperial Oktoberfest, Saison, Kolsch
Fermenting: Saison, IPA
Site Admin

Postby wnordmann » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Another place to look for the recipe is the old newsletters but I don't know how well they are indexed.

If the point is just to carbonated with cream sherry I think that poses a fun though experiment.

Seems like if you found the sugar content / calories of cream sherry one could work out the math from there.

1 oz of Cream Sherry has 45 calories
1 oz cane sugar has 110 calories
For 5 gallons of beer, targeting a medium carbonation you would need 3.5 ounces of cane sugar
Seems like you could just double that for the same amount of sherry.

So 6 ounces of sherry?

Postby JaeGeeCrawford » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

Now, that's just fantastic!

Return to Recipes