how much mead...

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

how much mead...

Postby blksabbath » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 am

....Can I make with a pint jar of honey? Guessing its about a pound...So maybe 1/2 gallon? We got it as a gift from a neighbor. I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but they got it from a relative that keeps bees.

Anyways, I was thinking of either a small batch of mead or add it to a beer.

thanks team,
Dan G
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Re: how much mead...

Postby stlmalt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am

Honey weighs 12 lbs per gallon. You have a pint of honey (1/8 gallon) or 1.5 lbs honey. One lb sounds like enough to add to 5 gallons of beer which leaves you some for enjoying at the table. Enjoy!
Kent
Missouri Malt Supply in Fenton
stlmalt

Postby seymour » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:07 pm

One pound of honey per one gallon of water is a basic recipe for table-strength "standard" mead. Of course, the stronger "sack" mead is what many people aim for, which obviously requires much more honey (or much less water.)

One pound of honey in one gallon of water produces about 35 gravity points, so 1 lb ≈ 1.035 original gravity

If you in fact have 1.5 lb, that should equate to something like 1.053 original gravity in 1 gallon of water. That sounds like a pretty good starting point to me!

This probably goes without saying, but you should weigh your honey container while it's full, and then weigh it again once it's empty after brewing. The difference is the exact amount of honey used, which you'll want to record on your log in case you ever want to reproduce or scale-up the recipe.

Best of luck!
seymour

Postby Kerth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:50 pm

I use 9 lbs/3gl.
Kerth

Postby siwelwerd » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:03 pm

seymour wrote:One pound of honey per one gallon of water is a basic recipe for table-strength "standard" mead. Of course, the stronger "sack" mead is what many people aim for, which obviously requires much more honey (or much less water.)

One pound of honey in one gallon of water produces about 35 gravity points, so 1 lb ≈ 1.035 original gravity

If you in fact have 1.5 lb, that should equate to something like 1.053 original gravity in 1 gallon of water. That sounds like a pretty good starting point to me!

1.035 (or 1.053) is not what most people would consider a "standard" mead--for that you're looking for 1.080-1.120 OG, corresponding to something like 7-14% ABV. The 3 lb per gallon rule should put you in the middle of that. One pound in one gallon is a very weak hydromel.
siwelwerd

Postby jeffjm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 pm

siwelwerd wrote:
seymour wrote:One pound of honey per one gallon of water is a basic recipe for table-strength "standard" mead. Of course, the stronger "sack" mead is what many people aim for, which obviously requires much more honey (or much less water.)

1.035 (or 1.053) is not what most people would consider a "standard" mead--for that you're looking for 1.080-1.120 OG, corresponding to something like 7-14% ABV. The 3 lb per gallon rule should put you in the middle of that. One pound in one gallon is a very weak hydromel.

A 1.053 mead may be very weak by BJCP standards, but that doesn't mean it won't make an enjoyable product. Fermented all the way out to 1.000, it should come in around 7% ABV. Leave a few points in for sweetness and to drop the ABV, add some fruit, and you might get something that appeals to the wine cooler crowd. Somebody brought such a concoction to one of the meetings this past summer, and I remember it being pretty good.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby seymour » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:04 pm

siwelwerd wrote:

Sometimes I wish you'd answer questions yourself then, instead of waiting around to shoot mine down.
seymour

Postby blksabbath » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:30 am

So....my pint jar of neighbors honey plus 32oz of water and I'll have a 1.105** strength mead. This is just a goofy little side project. Just looking to make a little bit with what they gave me.
Dude! Lets hang out!
blksabbath

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion