Stopper in Primary, Kreusen Persisting

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Stopper in Primary, Kreusen Persisting

Postby Sláinte » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 am

While I was oxygenating my last brew, I managed to push a rubber stopper down into the carboy. I didn't think much of it at the time, just sanitized another one and pitched the yeast.

Almost two weeks on, the kreusen is still on top of the beer. It looks like it's drying up and might just stay there. Didn't occur to me til this morning that maybe it has something to do with the stopper.

Is this a problem?

Sláinte
"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Re: Stopper in Primary, Kreusen Persisting

Postby jeffjm » Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am

The behavior of krausen can vary by yeast strain. What yeast did you use, and if you've used it before, did earlier batches do something else?

It's not necessarily a problem that your stopper fell in - I've had that happen once and the beer turned out fine.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby StLBeer » Thu May 09, 2013 10:56 am

The same thing has happened to me too. I think some CO2 gets trapped under the krausen and does not suspend. I've swirled the carboy when this happens and that tends to break most of it up. I then let it settle out for about 5-7 more days before kegging/bottling.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby siwelwerd » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am

StLBeer wrote:I've swirled the carboy when this happens and that tends to break most of it up. I then let it settle out for about 5-7 more days before kegging/bottling.

If it truly is drying up, then this is good advice (although I would emphasize a gentle swirling). Otherwise just wait. Two weeks isn't that long for some yeast strains (like a finicky British or Belgian yeast).

Also, who hasn't dropped *something* into their beer at some point? Stirbar, stopper, cat, etc. It always comes out fine--beer is pretty forgiving.
siwelwerd

Postby Sláinte » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks, all. The beer is a Rye APA and the yeast is Wyeast 1272, American Ale II. It's the first time I've brewed with rye, and only the second time I've used Wyeast, so those are both variables for me. I brewed it on Saturday, April 27, so it's still under two weeks.

I had hoped to "liberate" this carboy for Big Brew Day, but since the beer doesn't seem like it wants to be hurried, I won't. (Also, it's a 6.5 gal. glass carboy, which I prefer, but I've pretty much decided to take plastic ones to BBD.)

BTW, I've been thinking that after I clean the carboy, I will maneuver the stopper into place - backwards - and then heat the carboy to try to pop the stopper out. Any thoughts on that, or any other, method of stopper removal?

Drew: I don't have a good cat beer recipe, so I might be hitting you up for yours... :)

Sláinte
"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Postby siwelwerd » Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Isn't 1272 the Anchor strain? Not sure why it's acting like that. A gentle swirl and some time will probably do the trick.

Sláinte wrote:BTW, I've been thinking that after I clean the carboy, I will maneuver the stopper into place - backwards - and then heat the carboy to try to pop the stopper out. Any thoughts on that, or any other, method of stopper removal?

I would not heat your glass carboy, as this may compromise its structural integrity. Get a reasonably long rag, and push the middle into the carboy (with the two ends hanging out). Maneuver the stopper onto the middle of the rag, and then pull the rag out by its ends.
siwelwerd

Postby jeffjm » Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm

siwelwerd wrote:Also, who hasn't dropped *something* into their beer at some point? Stirbar, stopper, cat, etc. It always comes out fine--beer is pretty forgiving.

Just a hint - it's better to drop cat pee in your beer than the entire cat. You can save a lot of money on those expensive and hard-to-find Simcoe hops that way. :wink:
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby Sláinte » Fri May 10, 2013 9:30 am

jeffjm wrote:Just a hint - it's better to drop cat pee in your beer than the entire cat. You can save a lot of money on those expensive and hard-to-find Simcoe hops that way. :wink:

Cool. Do you put some in the boil, or just dry-pee? :wink:
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Sat May 11, 2013 6:05 am

Sláinte wrote:
jeffjm wrote:Just a hint - it's better to drop cat pee in your beer than the entire cat. You can save a lot of money on those expensive and hard-to-find Simcoe hops that way. :wink:

Cool. Do you put some in the boil, or just dry-pee? :wink:

Depends if you want flavor or aroma.
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby Sláinte » Wed May 15, 2013 10:24 am

Of course - an IPeeA!

BTW, the gentle swirl worked. It's been settling nicely. Thanks for that hint.

Sláinte
Brendan Behan
Sláinte

Postby StLBeer » Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 am

Sláinte wrote:Of course - an IPeeA!

BTW, the gentle swirl worked. It's been settling nicely. Thanks for that hint.

Sláinte

Glad to see that worked. I did just that to a Belgian Blonde early this week.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion