How to calculate gravity of 2nd runnings beer

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

How to calculate gravity of 2nd runnings beer

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm brewing a barleywine tomorrow, and I'm planning to do a second sparge on the spend grains and can it for starter wort. Obviously I want to have it around 1.040. I batch sparge, so unfortunately, I can't just keep sparging until the gravity of the collected wort hits 1.040.
Is there some way I can calculate about how much sparge water to add in order to have the collected wort be 1.040?

I was planning on just adding enough water to get a little bit, maybe an inch or so, above the grain bed, and letting it rest for about a half hour. I'll then drain a sample, and if it's (hopefully) above 1.040, I'll just add a little water at a time until I hit my target gravity.

I guess my main concern is adding too much water right off the bat and then having it be too diluted.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Re: How to calculate gravity of 2nd runnings beer

Postby Witch Doctor Dale » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 pm

You can always fly sparge the second runnings and stop when the lowest gravity you can live with is in the kettle or your output drops below 1.008, or wherever you quit your fly sparge. The other alternative is to parti-gyle, there are calculaters online that dictate the grain bill and the two batches you get.
Good luck!
Witch Doctor Dale

Postby jeffjm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Yep, Kai Troester has a fairly detailed spreadsheet for that: http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Batch_Sparge_and_Party_Gyle_Simulator

You might want to have a refractometer and DME handy in case the predictions are a bit off and you need to make adjustments.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby slarkin712 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

I think a partigyle calculator is your best bet. But I think it goes something like this. You take the gravity of your first runnings. Then calculate the amount of liquid left in the mash tun, which is (lbs grain)*.125 gal + (mash tun dead space). (.125 gal/lb is the accepted grain absorption value) Multiply the gravity points of your first runnings by the volume of liquid to get the number of gravity points in the mash tun. Take that number and divide by 40 and it will give you the number of gallons to add to get a wort of 1.040. For example:
gravity of first runnings: 1.090
weight of grain in mash tun: 20 lbs
mash tun dead space: .25 gal
Volume in mash tun: 20*.125 + .25 = 2.75 gal
Gravity points in mash tun: 90*2.75 = 247.5 points
Volume to add to get 1.040: 247.5/40 = 6.19 gal

I think that's how you do it. You're just diluting the sugar left in the wet grains and the dead space liquid.
slarkin712

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll have my refractometer and a couple pounds of DME ready to go just in case. I'll report back how close my actual numbers are to the calculated ones.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

turkeyjerky214

Postby l1chris » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 am

I think the refractometer, dme, and spare water are your best bet to hit that gravity. I just canned 24 quarts of starter and it took over an hour to physically get it all into the jars, so towards the end, im sure the extra boiling concentrated that wort a little, but ive done it this way before and have never had slow yeast starters, especially once they hit the stirplate.
Good luck and have fun- sounds like a long day!
l1chris

Postby jeffjm » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 am

Brian, how did this work out for you?
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:44 pm

I actually didn't get a chance to try it yet. I had planned to brew that day, but it was the day before I left for vacation for a week. Without knowing how long the canning process was going to take, I decided to push it off. I'm shooting for Tuesday of this week.
-Brian

turkeyjerky214

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Everything went really well. My calculations were way off, and I didn't have the time to sit down and figure out what I was doing wrong, so I just winged it. I started off adding about 4 gallons of water, but that got me just to the top of the grain bed, so I added a little bit more. Once I drained it, I was at around 1.033, so I just added about 12 oz of DME, and I came in right at 1.039.

I'm glad I didn't try to do it the day before a trip because the canning process took a lot longer than I had anticipated. All in all, it was definitely worth it as I now have 16 quart jars and 5 pint jars ready for starters whenever I need them. In hindsight, I wish I would've done 12 quarts and 13 pints, but now I know for next time.
-Brian

turkeyjerky214

Postby SteveO » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

turkeyjerky214 wrote:but now I know for next time.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one saying it in my head...

SteveO

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion