Storing a starter

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Storing a starter

Postby jeffjm » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Unfortunately I won't be able to brew today as planned...and I have a 4-liter starter with two packs of #2206 all ready to go.

Any idea how much viability I'll lose if I store it around 38F until Wednesday? I'm planning on a 1.071 maibock, and it would be really easy to under-pitch.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Re: Storing a starter

Postby StLBeer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:59 pm

I don't think you'd loose that much viability. You're only talking about 3 days later. I'd suggest taking it out of the fridge and let it warm up on Tuesday. If you have a stir plate I'd put it on there and let it spin until you pitch it.
Serving - Dark Medicine, JD Bigfoot Barleywine Clone, JD RIS (jealous?), American Wheat Ale, Nut Brown Ale, & Blondes...
Carbonating -
Primary - Big Ape AIPA
On Deck -
In the hole -
StLBeer

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Jeff, I think you should be fine with the starter. I also believe that the starter should be good for the gravity you estimate. Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby turkeyjerky214 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I've stored a starter for almost a week before. It still took off right away, and I personally didn't notice any off flavors. Just decant, swirl a few times on the brew day, and you'll be good.
-Brian

On Tap: Sour Belgian Brown, Amber Ale, Milk Stout, English Dark Mild, American Brown, Vienna Lager

Fermenting: Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Hefeweizen, Barleywine
Lagering: Märzen, Doppelbock, Düsseldorf Alt
turkeyjerky214

Postby siwelwerd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

You are probably fine, but since you have the time why not do a final small step? Pull it out of the fridge 24 hours before you want to pitch, decant, and add a little more wort and put it back on the stirplate. You will at the very least recover that viability you lost, and arguably improve things a bit.
siwelwerd

Postby Bierleichen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 pm

I had planned to use a starter of 1007 couple of weeks ago, but I have been unable to brew since. I decanted a few days, and there was a non appetizing smell. Not sure if it was from infection, just the wort being a little old, if the wort is oxidized from all of the shaking, or if it is just indicative of the yeast fermenting at a temperature higher than its ideal range.

Any ideas? The aroma isn't as bad as some other infections I've smelled, and it didn't smell like this 2 weeks ago.
Nate Brinson
Bierleichen

Postby JoeHPhil » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Nate,

Was it a sulfur (rotten egg) smell?

That is normal for the 1007 yeast and dissipates as it lagers
JoeHPhil

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 pm

As Joe stated, it is normal. Actually, it is rather common for all lager yeasts. Some are worse than others, but they all do it. Not to worry.

Mike
My Indian name is "Running With Beer"
Michael

Postby siwelwerd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Bierleichen wrote:I had planned to use a starter of 1007 couple of weeks ago, but I have been unable to brew since. I decanted a few days, and there was a non appetizing smell. Not sure if it was from infection, just the wort being a little old, if the wort is oxidized from all of the shaking, or if it is just indicative of the yeast fermenting at a temperature higher than its ideal range.

Any ideas? The aroma isn't as bad as some other infections I've smelled, and it didn't smell like this 2 weeks ago.

Did you taste it?
siwelwerd

Postby jeffjm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 pm

siwelwerd wrote:You are probably fine, but since you have the time why not do a final small step? Pull it out of the fridge 24 hours before you want to pitch, decant, and add a little more wort and put it back on the stirplate. You will at the very least recover that viability you lost, and arguably improve things a bit.

I wound up doing exactly this. Last night, I decanted all but about half a liter and added a fresh liter of starter wort. Then I put it back on the stir plate. I turned it off this morning and let it settle so I could decant again, because I don't like pitching more than a liter of starter into my beer.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone - looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
I set out running but I take my time.
jeffjm

Postby Bierleichen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks for the help. It did seem like the aroma was at worse sulfur-like so I went ahead and revived my yeast, and it took off right away. I pitched it on Sunday, and it is chugging away.
Nate Brinson
Bierleichen

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion