Astringency - does it fade?

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Astringency - does it fade?

Postby Lynux » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 am

I brewed up a lager a little over a month ago that I kegged two weekends ago. I carbed and lagered for a week and noticed a distinct astrigency in the mouthfeel. It leaves a really dry, bitter and mouth puckering aftertaste that is most definitely astringent. I'm thinking my sparge water got a little too hot and I extracted some unwanted tannins from the grain.

I plan on letting this beer lager for a while to see if that helps. I also added some gelatin that will hopefully help fine out some of that character. My question is - has anyone had an astringent beer that improved over time? Is this a character that will age out or should I just dump it?
A good brew will quench the parched soul

P -
C - Lambic
Tap - Red Lager, Black Lager, Patersbier, Cream Ale
Bottle - Barleywine, Mead, Flanders Red, Wit Wine
Lynux

Re: Astringency - does it fade?

Postby bmock » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:48 am

I had a highly astringent porter that smoothed out after some months. If you've got the space, keep it.
mockwerks.blogspot.com
bmock

Re: Astringency - does it fade?

Postby Lynux » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks Brad. I do have some space so i'll probably just shove it away for awhile and see what happens. Good to hear someone had a similar issue that improved over time.

It could have been the malt bill in my case too. I used 8oz of Briess Extra Special Malt which is supposed to be similar to a Special B - but it's not. Has a really strong malt character almost like Melanoiden that is quite overpowering. I won't be using this malt in that quantity again for sure.
A good brew will quench the parched soul

P -
C - Lambic
Tap - Red Lager, Black Lager, Patersbier, Cream Ale
Bottle - Barleywine, Mead, Flanders Red, Wit Wine
Lynux

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion