Need advice on first mead

General beer, cider & mead brewing discussion

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: Need advice on first mead

Postby JE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

Oh, and the raisins really only give the yeast something to stick to for speeding up the clearing process at this point. At least that is what I'd assume...unless you cut them in half, there really isn't a whole lot else they can add.
JE

Postby l1chris » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks Josh, for the advice! I agree that this is probably supposed to be a pretty sweet tasting mead, but who's going to drink it all now that its like eating candy one sip at a time?? Hind sight is 20-20. I should have cut this 5 gallon batch in half or even more. It has some awesome flavors going for it and I'm sure it will age well, but geez! (I guess that's why I'm into beer and not really wine...)

Do you have a feeling either way of trying to play with an acid addition to cut the sweetness? Or is it taste test time? Plan on being at a Brews meeting anytime soon?
l1chris

Postby JE » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Acid blend will mellow it, but not necessarily mask any sweetness. It can, however balance it somewhat and make it seem less "flabby". I suggest a taste-test regardless!

The suggestion earlier to add a slightly "acidic" or "tart" fruit to it would help as well. You can also try racking it to some oak...it may not knock the sweetness down, but the oak tannins may help balance it.

Another option...give it all to me and try again! :D
JE

Postby l1chris » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Well I guess I have a happy ending to report. I just kegged this mead to age it for a while and grabbed a hydrometer reading and its down to 1.025- where I would call it acceptable. It doesnt taste overly, syrupy sweet anymore either. It has a sweet flavor, but it works. I guess that extra starter must have slowly but surely done its job. Thanks to all for the help and advice. At least now I feel like I could make another mead and know how to do it.
l1chris

Postby JE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 am

Glad to hear it! Sometimes racking it off to another container will (apparently) stir things up enough to wake them back up if they were just "taking a nap". Glad it turned out better that you thought!

I still stand by my statement that you can give it all to me and you can start over... :lol:
JE

Previous

Return to Beer, Cider & Mead Discussion