(Re)Introduce yourself here!

Local, regional, national & international beer and brewing news. Please check here for important announcements.

Moderator: rsc3da

Re: (Re)Introduce yourself here!

Postby dapsmith » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Name: Dave Smith
How long have you been brewing?: I did a counter-top extract batch about 15 years ago, life got in the way, then got hooked again 2 years ago
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: All grain. If I'm going to go through the trouble...
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: all kinds but with a bent towards british ale styles
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: none
What's the best beer you think you've made?: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter. This has been the best by far but took two mash runs to make enough wort for one boil.
Any other fun hobbies?: Goofing with my daughter and riding my bicycle fast.
dapsmith

Postby rsc3da » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Name: Ryan
How long have you been brewing?: nearly 3 years.
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: I did a few extract batches before I upgraded to all grain, then I converted a Coleman cooler into a mash tun, I soldered the manifold together out of copper pipe and made slits in it with a hack saw. I get pretty good efficiency with it.
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: Depends on the time of year, really enjoying hefeweizen and witbier right now since it feels like 110 degrees outside. Porter is great too when it gets a bit cooler.
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: None, thinking of trying my hand at mead, cider and sake though.
What's the best beer you think you've made?: Probably an Imperial IPA that was very similar to Pliny the Elder, which was one of the beers that inspired me to pursue brewing.
Any other fun hobbies?: Road biking and hiking.
Last edited by rsc3da on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegged: CAH (Cider + Agave + Honey)
Lagering: -
Conditioning: RIS (BA Abraxas 2.0),Quad/Saison
Fermenting: Oktoberfest, Lambic
Plan: -
rsc3da

Postby Zombrew » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Name: Brian Rutledge
How long have you been brewing?: September 2010
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: Extract and partial mash so far. I have been putting together the equipment to brew all grain.
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: I've always been a hophead. I love iipa's and and westcoast ipa's. So that's what I brew.
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: I've made a few wines. Not anything to write home about.
What's the best beer you think you've made?: My hopbursted double ipa.
Any other fun hobbies?: Mostly do stuff with my kids. I don't have alot of free time. I like to read, play video games, drink some beer.
Zombrew

Postby beerenthusiast » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Name: Chad Martin
How long have you been brewing?: September 2012
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: All grain
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: Marzen, Pale Ale
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: None
What's the best beer you think you've made?: In progress
Any other fun hobbies?: guitar, college sports, and the outdoors.
beerenthusiast

Postby Northwoodsbrewer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm

I am the Northwoodsbrewer visiting from Wisconsin. I missed your meeting last night with a bad cold. I started brewing in 1954 and am still going strong. I make a lot of beer for my friends. I mall my own barley and grow my own hops. My motto is cost control, I'm cheap. I have some things that may interest you in by blog at Northwoodsbrewer.blogspot.com It is mostly politics, but there is some good brewing tips in there as well. I have been the sponsor of the Wisconsin State Czech Fest Beer tasting for the past 20 years. A beer from Jeauno, Ak won first place last year. A blended beer made up of beer from all the taps in the county came in "second". How about blended beer? I'll try to make your next meeting.
Northwoodsbrewer

Postby moodybrews » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 am

Name: Jonny Moody aka Shooter Mcblasty
How long have you been brewing?: 7 months
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: 1st all grain on Thursday
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: IPA/stouts
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: NONE
What's the best beer you think you've made?: Stinger IPA "RED RYE IRISH IPA
Any other fun hobbies?: Gym, recently married, bar crawling
"He that drinketh strong beer and goes to bed right mellow, lives as he ought to live and dies a hearty fellow"
moodybrews

Postby jessunavailable » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Jess Unavailable, here. Moved from Wisconsin (just outside of Milwaukee, Waukesha/Pewaukee—) in April where i did a small amount of brewing on shared hardware, left all behind when I moved to STL. Only barely have begun in the world of brewing, but until I get my feet wet I am looking to join up and learn from this great collection of experienced brewing nerds. So maybe I will bring fun beers to meetings until I have one of my own brews to share.

I'm a massive beer nerd and I work in the industry. I also do a small amount of trading/collecting.

Met a few of your folks at some of the local breweries, cant wait to meet more.

I'm shorter on the internet.

jessunavailable

Postby campbem » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm

campbem here....I live in Imperial, MO with wife of 20 years and three kids. I work at Saint Louis University as the Biosafety Officer and have a Master's in microbiology and a PhD Candidate in Occupational Health. I dabbled in extract brewing during the early 80's then when the kids came along...I just kinda dropped the hobby.....about three years ago, I had a couple buddies at work bring in a bragget and something tripped in my head....I'm now doing allgrain, have two dual tap kegerators in my basement (4 kegs) and a mini fridge....looking forward to learning from everyone at St. Louis Brews! Thanks, Mark C.
campbem

Postby wbuell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:10 am

Name: Bill Buell

How long have you been brewing?: started brewing in September this year. Made four batches so far, the most recent finished up at 1 AM earlier today, uhhgghh, i'm tired today.

Extract, partial mash or all grain?: first two batches were extract and steeping grains, the 3rd was a partial mash with a 5 gal paint strainer from home depot, and the last was my first All grain batch, woohoo! I'm looking to stick to that now :)

What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: My favorite for a while was IPA's, i couldn't get enough of them, but right now I am craving the sweeter, maltier and roastier the better, I think it's the weather.

What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: I havn't fermented anything besides beer... yet!

What's the best beer you think you've made?: I know it wasn't my first one! we will see how the next couple go, maybe I'll have an answer then.

Any other fun hobbies?: not really, but i am glad to have this new one!
Bill Buell
wbuell

Postby bagpiperbrian » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Name: Brian Foster

How long have you been brewing?: Almost 3 years

Extract, partial mash or all grain?: Primarily extract with partial mash in the past. I have completed 2 all grain batches, but I am moving into the realm of stictly all grain brewing. I have started reading Gordon Strong's book and can't wait for my next batch later this month.

What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: I love most styles of beer and mead. Not a huge cider fan though. I would say that my favorite styles are Porters, Stouts, IPAs, and Belgians.

What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: I have made one mead, but I have 15 pounds of honey ready to make a melomel in the near future.

What's the best beer you think you've made?: I made a whiskey barrel stout from an extract kit that St. Louis Wine and Beermaking put together. I soaked the oak cubes in Jefferson's small batch burbon for 5 days before adding it to my secondary. The beer was aged for 9 months before I submitted it to competiton. It was my first competion beer and I think I scored a 32.5 overall. I was very happy with it and it paired very well with haggis.

Any other fun hobbies?: I love music and play the bagpipes in the John Ford Highland Pipe Band. I also have played acoustic guitar for over 14 years and write my own music. My new hobby is being involved in everything my baby boy does. He is currently 7 weeks old and is a real joy to have around. I just may be a little attached to him.
bagpiperbrian

Postby jetster » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Name: Ted Sanders
How long have you been brewing?: 3 years
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: Have done all types. Last several brews were all-grain
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: IPA, Bad Medicine
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: Cider and mead
What's the best beer you think you've made?: Belgian Tripel flavored with real peaches. My current favorite stocked up is an American Light dry-hopped into an IPA
Any other fun hobbies?: ATV'ing, volunteering for Parish, tasting beers
jetster

Postby StlLucas » Thu May 22, 2014 11:39 am

Name: Tim Lucas, @STL_Lucas
How long have you been brewing?: About a year.
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: All grain.
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: Brown Ale or Pale Ale
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: I'm working on a mead, haven't tried it yet.
What's the best beer you think you've made?: My first AG brew was a dry hopped Pale Ale that I thought was pretty dang good.
Any other fun hobbies?: Disc Golf, Saltwater Reef Aquaria and Beer.

Hey guys! Live in the St. Louis area and have been brewing for about a year. I love the hobby and I'm interested in meeting some others to share some brew with, learn more about the hobby, and find out about some competitions and festivals.
Primary: N/A
Secondary: Raspberry Semi-Dry Mead
Bottled: Irish Stout, Dry Hopped Pale, Cream Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
StlLucas

Postby misaacwoof » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

Name: Kevin Gregory
How long have you been brewing?: Been brewing for about a year but not as often as I'd like.
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: All extract thus far.
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: To brew: I've only dabbled in light and brown ales and I prefer to keep it simple. To Drink: Almost anything.
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: Nothing at this point. Perhaps a mead if I find the time.
What's the best beer you think you've made?: The Brewers Best American Cream Ale kit. There's nothing better than a chilled ale on a hot summer day.
Any other fun hobbies?: I wish....Who's got time for hobbies?????
misaacwoof

Postby FlyingPigg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am

Name: Flying Pigg aka Ken Pigg from Harrisburg,MO
Been brewing about 15 years.
I use Extracts and partial mash.
Favorite style: I like most all of them, but really like Hefeweisen.
Other beverages brewed: None.
Best beer made: Probably my Ozark Hefe using hops I grew at home.
Other hobbies: Fishing, especially fly fishing and furniture making.
FlyingPigg

Postby HopsAreDaMan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Name: Joe Rodebaugh
How long have you been brewing?: roughly three years (with a friend)
Extract, partial mash or all grain?: We have done extract, partial mash and all grain, but most of the 8 or 9 batches we made were extract.
What is your favorite style to brew/drink?: imperial IPAs, imperial stouts, and barleywines.
What other tasty beverages do you ferment?: None.
What's the best beer you think you've made?: A Rye India Pale Ale.
Any other fun hobbies?: I try to stay healthy by riding my bike, practicing yoga, and getting outdoors as often as possible. I like to read sci. fi. & fantasy novels as often as I can.

I am in the process of building up my beer cellar of mostly high ABV beers (very few sours/lambics) and having a ball doing it. I currently have roughly 150 beers in the cellar. Just recently my friend got rid of his brewing equipment, so I am not brewing currently, but I am interested in brewing in the future.
HopsAreDaMan

PreviousNext

Return to Brews News