website

If you have any suggestions, questions, comments, or anything you would like to say to the webmaster, this is the place.

Moderator: rsc3da

website

Postby eckelkjt » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 pm

In the past few meetings, there has been a discussion of moving the website to another webserver and updating the site. One part of the discussion has been finding a webserver to host our site for very cheap. Has anyone thought about using Google Sites? They have an easy to use website generator. Very friendly and simple to use, should be able to meet our needs, but I'm not sure how well it handles some of the more complicated stuff. By creating a StlBrews gmail account, we can have everything in one place, a website, an email acount, a photo storage site, and an easily updated calendar.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ted
eckelkjt

Postby wnordmann » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:35 pm

I think the forum is a primary concern for the club website. But I agree a google calender isn't a bad idea.
wnordmann

Postby Benjamin R » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

nearlyfreespeech.net - why pay for bandwidth you don't use? MYSQL hosted and supported for the forums and you can edit all the mx and a records to use with gmail and do super duper @stlbrews.org addresses. I'm only a client but I can't say enough goodness about this company.
Benjamin R

Postby DStauder » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:03 pm

Brews,

We are working on a new site that is managable by the officers of the club. Thank you for your suggestions.

We do have an unlimited number of email accouts with our current host. It was determined a few administrations ago that to manage that email for all brews members would take a bit of time and there really wasn't an overwhelming advantage for members to have an account but it was for the officers. If the current administration wants to change this policy they will have to vote on it and let me know. Then we will have to figure out how to manage the system and make sure that there is a spam filter to screen out the large amounts of spam that does already come into the server. There will be a financial cost to the club.

We can use Google sites for a shared calendar however there still should be an official calendar of events beside the one that is available to the members. This is for legal protection of the club.

I welcome all the input from the members. Please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Dan Stauder
DStauder
Site Admin

Postby stanze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I work at a pretty large marketing agency in town. I've heard that they do pro-bono work before. They also like to drink a lot. Do you think the club would be interested in brewing some beer in exchange for a kick-ass website? I'm relatively new to the company, so I can't guarantee anything. But I thought I would see if the club would be interested before I reached out to my company.
stanze

Postby JE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Heck, I'd almost be willing to make them a 3 to 5 gallon batch of mead for all that!! :shock:
JE

Postby TCochran » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

stanze wrote:I work at a pretty large marketing agency in town. I've heard that they do pro-bono work before. They also like to drink a lot. Do you think the club would be interested in brewing some beer in exchange for a kick-ass website? I'm relatively new to the company, so I can't guarantee anything. But I thought I would see if the club would be interested before I reached out to my company.

Contact David president@stlbrews.org
also refer to this post:
http://stlbrews.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3182
TCochran

Return to Brews Forum Discussion