2018 Saint Louis Microfest Homebrew Competition
Rules and Entry Information
A. ELIGIBILITY AND CATEGORIES
1. Anyone may enter beers (no meads or ciders will be accepted).
2. Beers will be judged according to the BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines.
3. Entries must be referred to by BJCP Category NUMBER and Subcategory LETTER. Download the style guidelines from http://www.bjcp.org for category designations and descriptions. The BJCP categories will be grouped into judging categories by the competition organizers, depending on the number of entries received.
4. Commercially brewed beers are ineligible.
B. AWARDS AND PRIZES
Medals will be given to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in the overall categories. Medals will also be given to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners for Best of Show. Additionally, the best German style beer will be selected for a professional ramp-up at Stubborn German Brewing Company.
Winners will be announced at the Saint Louis Microfest on May 5, 2018. Your score sheets will be posted on the online registration site. Score sheets and judge's comments will be posted electronically within a few days of the Microfest winners announcement.
C. HOW TO ENTER, WHAT TO ENTER
1. Registration will begin March 19, 2018. Please register online at http://stlbrews.brewcompetition.com.
2. Entry Fees: $8.00 for each entry. This year, credit cards will be accepted for payment, and is the preferred method. Checks or money orders are also accepted and should be made payable to the Saint Louis Brews. Any entries not accompanied by an entry fee will not be judged.
3. Entry requirements: Provide TWO BOTTLES for each entry. Bottles must be 10- to 12-ounce green or brown glass and clean and free of any labels (inked, paper, or otherwise). Bottles with permanent, painted-on labels are prohibited. Entrants are encouraged to use brown, long-neck returnable bottles for extra protection from light and breakage. NOTE: Grolsch-type swing tops are not acceptable. Soft drink or other printed crown caps are acceptable if they are blacked-out with a black marking pen to assure anonymity in judging.
Attach the bottle label created by the online registration system to each bottle with a rubber band. For paper registrations, please attach a bottle label that indicates your name, BJCP category, BJCP subcategory, and beer name. Those using the paper registration will also need to include the registration form. The use of tape or glue to attach forms is not acceptable.
4. Beers from a single batch may be entered in multiple Categories. Multiple entries in a Category are acceptable but MUST be from different batches.
5. A recipe does not need to be submitted with the entry. However, entries in the specialty beer categories will require additional information to be judged properly. Please provide this information in the “Special Comments” section of the online registration or on the “Base Beer/Special Ingredients” line for the paper registration form.
6. There is a limit of eight (8) entries per brewer this year. Additionally, we will cap the total number of entries at 300.
D. WHERE TO ENTER, WHEN TO ENTER
1. Dropping-off entries: Entries will be accepted starting March 19, 2018. Entries MUST be received before the close of business on Friday, April 13, 2018 at the following locations. These locations are ONLY for folks dropping off their entries in person.
St. Louis Wine & Beermaking
231 Lamp Lantern Village
Chesterfield, MO 63017
2275 Cassens Drive #130
Fenton, MO 63026
Hours: Thursdays, 5:30pm - 7pm, Fridays, 5:30 - 8pm, Saturdays 9am – 4pm
Design 2 Brew
9995 WingHaven Blvd
O'Fallon, MO 63368
2. Shipping entries: Entries will be accepted starting March 19, 2018. PACK YOUR ENTRIES WELL. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Boxes should weigh less than 40 pounds. Entries MUST be received by Friday, April 13, 2018 at the following location. This location is ONLY for folks shipping their entries.
Modern Brewing Company
5231 Manchester Ave, Suite E
St. Louis, MO 63110
E. JUDGING / STEWARDING
1. Those interested in judging or stewarding, please register on-line at http://stlbrews.brewcompetition.com.
2. Main judging will occur on Saturday, April 21, 2018 beginning at 9:00am. Location is being determined. Judges and stewards should arrive at 8:30am for sign-in to assure judging begins promptly at 9:00am. Additional judging sessions may be added if necessary, based on the number of entries received and number of judges available.
For Further Information
For further information, please contact the Competition Organizer Eric Smith.
Now, enter those beers and enjoy the competition!